Boot floor mounted Fuel Tank

Hi all

I am fitting a roll cage to my TR6 and as such there is no room for the standard tank as the cross braces fill the space.  Does anyone have experience/photos etc of how to fit and plumb in a tank on the boot floor for a PI TR6 and where is the best place to get a tank made. Any advice gratefully received.

Would these racing tanks work with your roll cage?

https://www.racetorations.co.uk/product/aluminium-fuel-tank-tr4-6/

I was going to suggest Alicool, who made a range of aluminium tanks for TRs, but can find no contact details.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

"I was going to suggest Alicool, who made a range of aluminium tanks for TRs, but can find no contact details."

"....and Alicool have slipped of the face of the planet"

Ken/Peter

I understand Alicool have closed down because the two owners couldn't agree on the way forward for the business - one has now retired, but the other may try to resurrect the business so hopefully all is not lost- in the meantime, I may still be able to source bits and pieces and I still have a few new TR4-6 fuel tanks, but when they are gone, I can't guarantee there will be any more.

Cheers Rich

Peter - as things stand at the moment, no I won't be going. I'm just too gutted.

As an auto jumbler based where I am in the south east, it just doesn't work for me - getting there, putting up and taking down my stall every day, doing the same on a campsite, and repeating it all the next day, means there hardly be any time to show and sell anything!

I'm really pleased for the membership as a whole that something has been salvaged and I appreciate all the work that has been put in by lots of people to put on "Ambergate".

However spare a thought for the professional traders and auto jumblers like myself who have been left high and dry - I've spent months planning for this and getting parts renovated in time, all to no avail.

I know there is an awful lot of frustration among this group about whats happened and re-imbursing trade stand fees etc doesn't even come close to touching the abortive costs we have all faced.

Cheers Rich

Ken, 

If you fit a tank in the spare wheel well you will lose the gravity feed to the filter and pump. 
I ran my race TR6 on PI for many years with a tank in the spare wheel well with the filter and pump under the boot floor alongside the n/s chassis rail with a protective shield over it. Even then I still couldn’t run the tank with less than about 10 or 12 litres in it without getting fuel starvation on sharp left hand bends. 
You probably wouldn’t want to do that on a road car so will need to fit a 2nd low pressure lift pump and swirl pot to feed the main filter and high pressure pump. 
I’m now on Webers with a Facet red top pump alongside the tank, which sucks as well as blows, much simpler. 

Dave McD

Not a TR6, but 2.5L and Lucas Pi on my Vitesse.    Learning from it's dad (Silverback, the only racing Vitesse Estate) to get fuel reliably from the wheel well tank, SofS (SonofSilverback) has a Facet as a lifter pump to a bulkhead mounted swirl pot, that feeds the Bosch pump.

1848329466_fuelpumphouse002.thumb.jpg.0b2f438db77dc39e867f95d3d788d0ab.jpg

The upstanding bolts that hold down the tank, are for a false floor to the boot, for touring purposes, to stop luggage getting tangled in the piping.

The tank was custom made by an expert Tig welder, moonlighting.

John

Edited by john.r.davies

John many thanks,  i had heard of your arrangement and have seen it in pictures but now can hopefully pump you for information.  I’ll compile a list of questions and get back to you if i may and hopefully we can solve this problem.

Just a thought so don't shoot me! But if you need to go with a floor mounted tank then why not consider cutting the boot floor out to accept a modern plastic tank from a salvaged car with an in tank pump to a pressure regulator ? It would be considerably cheaper undertaking and require a lot less pumping.

It could be done to keep the boot floor the same height as having a spare wheel there and preserve the boot space.

Andy

Andy,

the idea of having a plastic tank of fuel hanging out in the air- and stone- flow fills me with dread.    My wheel well tank has the steel boot floor and sits onlayers of vitryl rubber sheet to protect it from impact.

John

I agree

I'm nervous enough of my MGB steel fuel tank hanging out of the back especially when on some of the rougher special tests.  It has quite a few significant dents in it and its only going to be a matter of time before something punctures it.  John i'll PM you to avoid choking up the forum.

Ken

Ken

It might be worth you having a word with TR Enterprises as I've seen a variety of TRs there with tanks that fit within the cross bracing of the rollcage. I think they use a Safety Devices cage where the cross braces and side members share the same attachment points in the boot.

Dave

Hi Dave

I've been down that avenue I'm afraid to no avail.  The guy who makes up their tanks has disappeared and all the patterns are locked up and cannot be accessed at the moment so i cant even get one copied.  Despite extensive searching i cant even find a picture of a SD cage with a tank fitted as that would give me some sort of clue as to how it all goes together

Ken

1 hour ago, KenB said:

Hi Dave

I've been down that avenue I'm afraid to no avail.  The guy who makes up their tanks has disappeared and all the patterns are locked up and cannot be accessed at the moment so i cant even get one copied.  Despite extensive searching i cant even find a picture of a SD cage with a tank fitted as that would give me some sort of clue as to how it all goes together

Ken

Ken - Have sent you a PM(+ personal message - go to envelope icon in top RH side of a forum page - it's your forum mailbox, click on it and you will see your messages)

Cheers Rich

Edited by rcreweread
Clarification
2 hours ago, KenB said:

Hi Dave

Ken

Ken, 

The guy who made all TRE tanks is Alloy Racing Fabrications, Jim at Moorhouse between Tuxford and Newark. He has a website  If you can’t find details PM me and I’ll send you his numbers. 
He made my race tank, though I don’t have roll cage with cross over back legs, and various other parts for me. He’s very good and reasonably priced. 

Dave McD

5 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Andy,

the idea of having a plastic tank of fuel hanging out in the air- and stone- flow fills me with dread.    My wheel well tank has the steel boot floor and sits onlayers of vitryl rubber sheet to protect it from impact.

John

Hi John 

Correct it depends what your planning to do with the car. You could always fabricate a new floor pan to cover the tank. The plastic tanks will tend to deform rather than split on impact. 

I’m also a tight Yorkshire man!

Andy

Perhaps..... 

D-Shape Fuel Tank 6 Gallon   £170.00   VAT excluded  Looks like it has a tank contents sender unit in it.

image.thumb.png.d65170e11a29da1f69a55f67235daedb.png

Or 

8.5 gallons at £170.00 + VAT

https://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/fuel-tanks/3-alloy-85-gallon-cylindrical-fuel-tank.html

The upturned sauce pan around the outlet to stop slosh might need adding - ask about baffling I suppose.

image.thumb.png.75c373288a748a4b7121d3d63772e38a.png

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT