For my sins I have acquired a special TR3. A TR Register member has owned the car for 64 years, he bought it when it was 2 years old in 1958. It is an Australian CKD car, TS9602O with 49,600 miles from new. It has the original interior in very good condition (just dirty), carpets and has never been painted, let alone restored. I understand the engine has never been out.

In years long past it was a multiple concours winner with the Triumph Sports Owners Association. The car was raced extensively, dragged, hill climbed etc in the 60s. At one stage it had a Judson supercharger but is back to being pretty stock now. It has only done about 1,000 miles in the last decade but has been well maintained and drives very well c onsidering. So far it is only the steering box and the wiring loom (the original one is in dire need of replacement) that need work.

The body has lots of patina. Unfortunately, it isn't good patina. The paint is badly cracked and peeling off in sheets on some panels. The metal is exposed on the bonnet, apron, both front guards and left rear guard. There is no rust anywhere. I don't think it has been wet in 30 or more years.

A repaint is necessary. I need to find the best way to achieve the finish I'm after which is a 'not too shiny acrylic look' as possible.

I am the new custodian of a pretty unique TR3. It isn't for sale, I'll be driving it well into the future.  

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1321.jpg

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1326.jpg

IMG_1330.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

Edited by John McCormack

Looks like it's had a rather poor re-spray in it history, but it's got great potential.  a little newer than mine (53 cars to be exact) TS9551 O

Bob

11 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Looks like it's had a rather poor re-spray in it history, but it's got great potential.  a little newer than mine (53 cars to be exact) TS9551 O

Bob

The car hasn't been painted except for the rear guard with the paint coming off in sheets. It had a minor bingle at a club event about 25 years ago. The hardtop is an original but was acquired in the 70s and has been painted in 2 pack. The boot isn't the original and is also in 2 pack. The original boot came with the car and is in my garage.

The rest of the body is the original paint. Any guidance on the best method to paint it is very much welcomed.

Edited by John McCormack

Thats a fab car, deserving an owner like yourself.

Two pack on top of original cellulose…….that will always crack. Two pack is constantly shrinking and if not on a proper base you end up with the effect you have. Cellulose over two pack works but not the other way round.

How to correct without making it look overly restored? I’ll leave that o others of much greater knowledge.

Iain

I suspect Cellulose may well be available somewhere in Aus so thats the way I would go, it would give you a much better and more original finish.

Stuart.

Thank you all for the advice. I am chasing up cellulose in Australia.

I stand corrected on the car's paint. Lebro is right the car has been repainted. I have just got off the phone with the previous owner and he tells me that he did have the car repainted in about 1965 when he took the race numbers off the car after several years. The numbers took the original paint off when removed. He didn't intentionally mislead me; he was telling me the story about the paint numbers and didn't complete the story before we moved on to other matters.

That solves the issue. I'm not replacing the original finish so a full repaint is the best option.