Drive Block Sealer

Hi Folks,

I have just had my driveway blocks pressure wash cleaned.  I have spent a good deal of time removing the oil stains another story.(incontinent 4A). 

Tomorrow a man is coming to seal the blocks -  however he hasn't a clue.

So what is the best drive block  sealant - water or solvent base etc  etc.

Roger

I have a lot of brick drive, and I have tried many products over the years none of them worked satisfactorily. The best areas are those with a heavy footfall or vehicle traffic and getting a constant scuffing. 

Alan

7 minutes ago, stillp said:

Has it been re-sanded Roger, as the pressure wash will have removed a lot of the sand.

Pete

That will be tomorrow's argument.  The 'magnetic Leprechaun' (as I call him) said not to pressure wash the blocks - we use special cleansing chemicals AND A BLOODY GREAT PRESSURE WASHER.  So all the weeds, muck concrete and sand are gone - will the sand be coming back.  I've paid for that.

I wont go into the details but I have been screwed for a couple of bob.  On the good side I actually wanted to do the job but I am moving very slow at present (hip).

It will all get done but not but not by the Leprechaun.

Roger

My neighbour has a block drive, and pressure washes it two or three times a year. He can't understand why some areas of his drive have dropped about an inch and is blaming the installer for not compacting the substrate properly. He's never resanded it.

Pete

Hi Pete,

if the Leprechaun does not do the job then I sack him and finish it myself.

Easy enough and then seal.

I found a great way to remove serious oil staining. 

Brush/spray on brake cleaner or petrol

Using a short haired brush (Stipple) rub the cleaner into the oil.

Brush/spray more cleaner then wipe off.

I then use a hot air gun to dry rapidly.

A shadon of oil staining mat re-appear the folling day as the deep seat oil wicks out.

Repeat the above until happy.

BUT it looks clean

Roger

12 hours ago, RogerH said:

I wont go into the details but I have been screwed for a couple of bob.  On the good side I actually wanted to do the job but I am moving very slow at present (hip).

It will all get done but not but not by the Leprechaun.

Roger

Not fallen foul of some itinerant Irish no fix abode “tradesman” in a TRansit have you Roger.?

be wary of the next visit off their cousins that “just happen to be in the area” for the next job. 

Hi Hamish,

his abode is fixed and slightly better than a TRansit.  He has certainly been snogging with the Blarney stone.

Everything is not a problem and we can do that for sure - however when it is time to do that  everything goes tits upwards.

The colour of my driveway blocks has been superseded by something from a different rainbow.  But he can't see the difference - all he can see is ££££££'s

Anywho, now I have cleaned the blocks I only need the sealant and dry sand putting down.

Roger

48 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Anywho, now I have cleaned the blocks I only need the sealant and dry sand putting down.

Roger

:D  we need a thumb up emoji

I had some stuff called an oil breaker, which, diluted and sprayed or brushed on, digested the stain over a few days. I don't bother now, my concrete drive is breaking up so a few stains don't matter.

Pete

Hi Alan,

the sand is not the problem. That goes down a treat.

The sealer that I ended up with (Bostik Cementone Pave Sealer) does not give the 'wet' look and only slightly enrichens  (darkens) the colour.

I am praying that it will resist  oil stains as it says on the tin.

Not done this before, so a bit of a learning curve

Roger

Hi Bob,

I have spoken to both the engine and GB. I have told them enough is enough. But they continue to leak. Not a lot, but even a single drip stands out.

I haven;t tried the Basil Fawlty thrashing with a branch just yet but getting close.

In theory the sealant should work, but!!!!................................

I could try running the cars with no oil in - that may work for a few hundred yards. Or wrap it in a bid nappy.

Roger

1 hour ago, Misfit said:

Didn’t we have that like and dislike

28E1D949-ECEB-456C-AEBE-15BF1F8A0C01.png

Best not go there again !!!! 

1 hour ago, Gordon Bayley said:

you could always take up the block paving and  put down a layer of sand and newspaper  like the bottom of a parrots cage.:lol: 

Would that be a dead parrot ?

1 hour ago, Gordon Bayley said:

you could always take up the block paving and  put down a layer of sand and newspaper 

Or of course you could brush a coat of oil over the whole drive so the drips would not be visible.........

Edited by RobH