Been out of the TRR and TR driving loop for a few years and wanting to get back into it as haven't used VUX much for about 3 years, and it should be.....  I'm currently thinking about EFI for VUX, so what systems are owners using and what is the general opinion, can't see any complete systems on Rev's website?

Cheers, Andrew

9 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Been out of the TRR and TR driving loop for a few years and wanting to get back into it as haven't used VUX much for about 3 years, and it should be.....  I'm currently thinking about EFI for VUX, so what systems are owners using and what is the general opinion, can't see any complete systems on Rev's website?

Cheers, Andrew

Really Good to Hear Andrew.

John

9 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew,

I can provide a more detailed response next week, but have a chat with Emerald.  They can provide everything required, as in, full kit.  Just a few things to fabricate, in terms of ECU mounting, and crank pulley for trigger wheel, etc.

Cheers.

Plus 1 for EmeraldM3D. Full of advice and after service excellent. Did mine with original throttle bodies twelve years or more ago and then changed to Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies last year. So reliable (done it now !!) and has the roar of webbers when flooring it.

If it is an itch to do it Andrew then go ahead.

IMG_0258.JPG

20201213_170655_resized.jpg

20210111_135829.jpg

8 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Thanks folks,

On a standard 150 cam which seems (seemed) to suit the Emerald system - found this article from 2012 although technology and experience will have moved on : https://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/apr2012/ 

Cheers, Andrew

Hi Andrew, purely out of curiosity why are you thinking of EFI?

If you go to port injection, which means a 3bar fuel supply, here is an idea re fuel routing. Have the high pressure fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator in the back. Have the regulator overflow dump directly back to the tank. Run the MAP reference line all the way to the back to the regulator. The single fuel line to the injector rail works just fine. The air purge time in the controller set up needs to be widened a little but that is it. 

Hi Andrew,

I converted my TR6 to EFI using the Emerald ECU 3 years ago - and wrote an article for TR Action, published in November 2019 Issue 317. Hopefully this will answer your questions!!. Since then it has run faultlessly except for twice, when the Throttle position sensor and my linkage required adjustment and re-setting. Easily achieved using Emerald software and your laptop. I haven't achieved the 30+mpg that has been reported by others but there again with Covid etc. haven't done any long runs. 

If you would like any more info please PM me.

Ian

PS it's my TR6 with our MX5 on the front of the latest TR Action. It must be a first, a car other than a TR making the front cover!

Hi Folks,

I am well, thank you for asking Neil, As Neil says I've covered many-many thousands of miles touring in VUX (mainly in Europe) on the existing PI system (Bosch pump) which was fitted in May 2004 and apart from a number of injectors needing replacement over the years and curing the dreaded resonance by replacing hoses (several times!) it's been very reliable, even in Italy in June 2019 when we were stuck in a tunnel in very slow moving traffic for over an hour in about 40+C, god know how hot it was under the bonnet! :o

In answer to the question 'why'?  I'm curious to understand the running/performance benefits measured against the cost as the PI system could probably do with an overhaul (if not replacement) from front to back which is the downside of not being driven much for 3 years. :( Last year I reset the Diaphragm PRV pressure, changed the pre and post fuel filters, hoses (Gates Barricade R14) - the filters were full of rubber hose debris that had seemingly disintegrated due to ethanol in the fuel. I dread to think what's inside the MU?  Future proofing is another consideration.

Cheers, Andrew

my latest generation EFI.

Customized TBs with upper linkages. Customized fuel rail. (I always found the aluminium profile fuel rail somewhat overkill in the whole picture, so I build them myself new.)

IMG_3257.thumb.JPG.01b217eff26efd3ce816a875afe682fa.JPG

22 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

Thanks folks,

On a standard 150 cam which seems (seemed) to suit the Emerald system - found this article from 2012 although technology and experience will have moved on : https://www.emeraldm3d.com/articles/apr2012/ 

Cheers, Andrew

That article from Emerald is interesting, and honest in what it says about roughness at idle and low rpm with plenum and single throttle body. Hopefully Keith Warren will be along to comment. I've written  magazine features about his Emerald converted TR6 and a home brewed efi conversion he did on a Spitfire engine. 

His CP series TR6 didn't run well at low speeds until he swapped the cam for a profile with later inlet valve opening, think he used Chris Witor's CW3021 cam. I had the pleasure of driving Keith's 6 a few years ago.  The engine is very civilised and feels quick. 

Nigel

Andrew if it ain't broke don't fix it. Standard system works spot on for me and costs me next to nothing.

Alan G

I had my 5 converted to Emerald efi about 18 months ago, superceding the Prestige setup that I inherited via PO.

All parts were from Emerald. Spec included the triple coil pack, and I also used Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies. 2 driving maps set on it with instant control via a dashboard switch. 1 map for economy, the other for fully adaptive. Lambda sensor etc installed. Final set-up was on rolling road at Emerald.

No problems whatsoever with it, and on the recent TR & Trabant Tour I covered 3.5k miles with 39mpg average. This included autobahns and high altitude stuff (Transalpina plus Transfagarasan). Very smooth running throughout, beautiful driving.

It's horses for courses I know, and each to their own, but my own experience has been truly excellent.

Mike.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:03 PM, Andrew Smith said:

Cheers, Andrew

I would not consider this system until there was a full kit on the market and one could go to Emerald's garage for them to fit and test the set up and sign it off as fully working. A friend of mine fitted their system to a K series engine and it took 18 months to get it going properly?

Bruce.

Hi Andrew / Nigel 

I converted my CP 6 back in 2011 using a kit from EFI Conversions with the Emerald ECU at first having a single throttle body did not so it the 150 bhp cam so as Nigel says swamped it with a Cam from Chris Witor again set up by Emerald and has worked well since.

Keith

3DA57846-8940-405F-B857-0BC9B78D8648.jpeg

1 hour ago, Keith Warren said:

Hi Andrew / Nigel 

I converted my CP 6 back in 2011 using a kit from EFI Conversions with the Emerald ECU at first having a single throttle body did not so it the 150 bhp cam so as Nigel says swamped it with a Cam from Chris Witor again set up by Emerald and has worked well since.

Keith

3DA57846-8940-405F-B857-0BC9B78D8648.jpeg

Looking at Harry’s if I did it again that would be the way I would do it, very neat job as always.

On 7/29/2022 at 10:28 AM, harrytr5 said:

Plus 1 for EmeraldM3D. Full of advice and after service excellent. Did mine with original throttle bodies twelve years or more ago and then changed to Jenvey Heritage throttle bodies last year. So reliable (done it now !!) and has the roar of webbers when flooring it.

If it is an itch to do it Andrew then go ahead.

IMG_0258.JPG

20201213_170655_resized.jpg

20210111_135829.jpg

Hi Harry,

Did Emerald supply the air box too, or was that sourced elsewhere?

Richard.

Richard71 a mate of mine made the airbox as it is very tight in there due to a short indent in the wheel arch as per TR5 and early  TR6. Later TR6,s had the full indent which enables the bigger air box which he has a couple left as below. I just love how we all approached EFI and the work that went into it to achieve the same end. (CK that looks so sexy)

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

36052646311_3e758bbe62_o.jpg

20190429_204110_resized.jpg