Moss plastic glove box

I want to fit a new glove box to my 4a, I know they can be a bit of a 'challenge' to fit, my problem is that I only have full use of one hand as I managed to lose a few fingers on my left one.  How easy, and what is the process of fitting a new Moss plastic one.  I don't particularly want to pay my garage to fit it if I can do it without too much hassle.  

3 minutes ago, Colin Symonds said:

I want to fit a new glove box to my 4a, I know they can be a bit of a 'challenge' to fit, my problem is that I only have full use of one hand as I managed to lose a few fingers on my left one.  How easy, and what is the process of fitting a new Moss plastic one.  I don't particularly want to pay my garage to fit it if I can do it without too much hassle.  

I think you may struggle with a plastic one, originals were card and were a bit more forgiving.when trying to get them in the right place.

Stuart.

Hi Colin,

I think your dodgy left hand would not contribute to the difficulty.

The basic hand would support the box  while the right hand/fingers twiddle with the screws.

I have no clue regarding the plastic box.

The original card box was easy enough.

Roger

I have fitted the new card glove box, however, when I measured the space available for it compared to the dimensions of the box, there was no way that it would be a direct fit without alteration, which trial fitting confirmed.  I know some people soak the card to allow it to distort, this wasn't something I wanted to do, so I entered full Blue Peter mode and decided to reconstruct the box so that it would be a direct comfortable fit.

Out came the craft knife, impact adhesive and card rivets and after a bit of cutting, gluing and riveting it became an easy direct fit to the space available.  I did lose some volume, but only marginally, and the box has retained it's strength and rigidity and actually looks like it was made that way.  If only the suppliers would manufacture a box this easy to fit.

1 hour ago, Andy Moltu said:

My experience of fitting one was that it was a git of a job.

Managed to get enough but not all of the fixings in place.

That is what I had read, and wanted to avoid, by reconfiguring the rear of the box so that it actually fitted the space, meant the final fitting to the dashboard was relatively simple, with all six fixings lining up easily.  I don't understand why the suppliers still make a box that is a pig to fit when a simple redesign makes it a simple job.

Edited by Colin Symonds
  • 1 year later...