GAC Thinking of buying a TR2

Hi TR enthusiasts

I am considering buying a TR2 and was looking for some advice. The car I have seen has been in dry storage for a number of years. It was imported a number of years ago from South Africa, and according to the owner was modified for racing - large bore exhaust etc. It has a Motors Assemblies badge/stamp on the inside of engine compartment.

In general the car looks in good condition. The paint job isn't great with a number of blemishes and blebs here and there. Then again it is a 68 year old car.I have been reliably informed that it is a good runner, although not run in the past 6 years. When I checked the serial number it is a number greater than the 8636 made. It is 12XXX. Has anyone any idea why this would be the case. 

Any advice would be very welcome indeed.

Which serial number are you referring to, engine, chassis, body?  As they were built locally from parts sent out from England it is possible that the engines were numbered in UK , or it could be a later replacement engine.

Ralph

• John Morrison changed the title to GAC Thinking of buying a TR2

Thank you all for your responses - very much appreciated. 

Sorry John - my name is Gary and thank you for your welcome.

The number I am referring to is the TS number on the drivers side of the firewall. It states that it was Manufactured by the Standard Motor Company, Coventry, England. It also has a ID badge on the opposite side of the firewall (passenger side) stating it was built by Motor Assembly Ltd, Durban, South Africa.

On the South African registration docs it does have an 8000 number, however as mentioned above, the TS number on the firewall is a 12xxx number. Just wondering why the two number don't tie up? Maybe the one on the reg documents is linked with the engine?

I'm curious in trying to understand more around the history of the vehicle therefore if you know of how to trace things through websites etc, I would be very interested in doing so. It might however be difficult given it is from SA?

Many thanks again for sharing your valuable knowledge and experience with me.

Regards

Gary 

Gary 

CKD (Complete Knock Down) cars were allocated a TS number by Standard Triumph. I would have thought that a TR2 would have had no more than 4 digits after the TS number e.g.TSxxxx.

The Motor Assembly plant in Durban SA allocated their own build number e.g. TRxxx which was recorded on a plate riveted to the passenger side of the fire wall.

You refer to a SA document is this a Certificate of Registration? If so, it will state the TS number, engine number and date of 1st registration in SA (but not the TR number), as well as the three most recent registration numbers the vehicle had (I think in SA a vehicle was re- registered each time it moved to a new Province). Without this document I don't think DVLA would issue a V5 for the UK.

The engine number on TR's is located on the L/H side of the engine block between the fuel pump and distributor. It should be numbered up to TSxxxxE for a TR2 unless it is a rebuilt or replacement engine.

You say the SA document as an 8000 number. Against what descriptive is it printed? It means nothing as just a number.

TR2's were assembled by MA Durban between Oct 1955 and Dec 1956 a total of 354 cars TR3 builds commenced Jan 1957 to Oct 1958, a total of 624 car's. TR3a's Feb 1961 to Feb 1963 just 72 cars.

Hope this helps.

Rob

Hi Rob - thanks for the insight

I have not seen the documents as such but when I do I will answer your questions.

I am informed ir is already is registered in the UK (been here for a number of years now) and also as an historic vehicle (not that means a great deal to me).

Kind regards

Gary

On 7/29/2022 at 11:34 AM, RobTR3 said:

TR2's were assembled by MA Durban between Oct 1955 and Dec 1956 a total of 354 cars TR3 builds commenced Jan 1957 to Oct 1958, a total of 624 car's. TR3a's Feb 1961 to Feb 1963 just 72 cars.

I'd be interested in where these figures come from as they don't agree with anything that I have seen.

Mike

16 hours ago, mike ellis said:

I'd be interested in where these figures come from as they don't agree with anything that I have seen.

Mike

Mike 

You have a pm.

Rob