Trunnion Oil or Grease

I've searched but found few posts on this ....

I recently saw one should use Constant Velosity joint grease in trunnions. What is the current majotity recommendadtion for lubricating trunnions, please.

3 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

I've searched but found few posts on this ....

I recently saw one should use Constant Velosity joint grease in trunnions. What is the current majotity recommendadtion for lubricating trunnions, please.

I have used CV grease for over 40 years and I am still on the original trunnions. When I tested some new replacements, they had more play in them than my originals, so I reused my originals. But I do grease them every other year as I only do 2 to 3 k per annum.

Bruce.

2 hours ago, astontr6 said:

I have used CV grease for over 40 years and I am still on the original trunnions. When I tested some new replacements, they had more play in them than my originals, so I reused my originals. But I do grease them every other year as I only do 2 to 3 k per annum.

Bruce.

New Moss supplied ones are every bit as good as originals 

Stuart 

You'll need some sort of oil gun. I used oil once but it was pretty messy to inject  and I have some suspicions about the ability of the old trunnions to retain oil. For the last 10 years or so I've used moly grease.

The same oil is recommended for my TR2 trunnions. I've been using modern greases for 39 years and about 150,000 miles. Still on the same trunnions and they are in good nick.

I tend to grease them every 3- 6 months.

Hello,

I don't think it makes any difference fat or oil.
The main thing is that the pivot bearing is screwed onto the axle carrier as far as possible and no water can penetrate.

Many greetings
Ralph

10 hours ago, stuart said:

New Moss supplied ones are every bit as good as originals 

Stuart 

Yes it was Moss who were supplying the sub- standard ones as usual. I am very careful when buying anything from them. Over the years I have dealt with them I have had too many rejections, all on quality.

Bruce.

6 hours ago, Schnippel said:

Hello,

I don't think it makes any difference fat or oil.
The main thing is that the pivot bearing is screwed onto the axle carrier as far as possible and no water can penetrate.

Many greetings
Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I did that some years ago and remember it is one turn more possible with the caliper bracket detached from the vertical link.

This is what you mean with „as far as possible“?

My old trunnions have not been detachable with the bracket bolted on the vertical link.

So the former owner did it correctly.

Btw I use oil because my new trunnions have been oil sealed the way I put them out of the box.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

So the conclusion is oil, CV grease or other grease!!

I've totally stripped things and cleaned my trunnions and everything else and all new seals etc. as part of my restore. I am leaning towards non-oil because of leaks and mess but will decide later.

Thanks for all replies.

i use oil and there is an easy way to fill trunnions without mess . get a grease nipple that fits the thread , drill out the spring and ball bearing leaving a nice clean hole [ after washing ] then connect a rubber pipe to your oil can , push the other end on the nipple and simply pump  in your oil till trunnion is filled . you will get a small amount of oil from the top of the trunnion seal when it is full . simples . andy

I just fill my grease gun with oil ( trunnions have grease nipples in them )

Harvey

Hello Richard,

I have been following this thread with interest! I have a TR5 and use Castrol High Temperature grease for both the lower steering swivel and the upper ball joint. According to Castrol, this is the modern equivalent to Castrol LM grease as recommended for this purpose in the Haynes Triumph TR5 & 6 Owners Workshop Manual. In fact, the blanking plug on the OS swivel does not seal well and to improve this I apply a small hydraulic jack to it. By doing so I can then get the old grease to extrude from the joint as I pump new grease in. If I used oil it would soon be lost.

Regards,

Denis

Edited by DenisMc
typo

Thanks all for your opinions.

I'm leaning towards not using oil but some type of grease. I know people say it was designed for oil but in the 50's there were not the products available today. If there were, perhaps they would have used a grease - or further perhaps use a ball joint and not a trunnion. To me oil will simply leak out from the seals and generally appears to me not to be the best solution. A grease of some sort will stay inside and lubricate better as oil will drain away due to gravity.

I'm refurbishing everything so all new seals, etc. I'm not too bothered about the mess of filling and think the oil can solutions above are good, but am pretty sure I'll go for a grease type solution.

Richard.

Just a thought remember all those Morris Minors in the 60s at the side of the road with one of the front wheels hanging off using the

recommended grease in their brass trunnions. 

Harvey

3 hours ago, HSM said:

Just a thought remember all those Morris Minors in the 60s at the side of the road with one of the front wheels hanging off using the

recommended grease in their brass trunnions. 

Harvey

I think that failure may have also had a lot to do with NOT greasing at the specified intervals rather than the lubricant used.

In days of yore the GPO used to replace the Morris Minor van front suspension upright and trunions every year as routine maintenance.  I had a friend who was a mechanic for them and he did a roaring trade in part worn suspensions for Minors.

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT