A blast up the M1

Lovely & not busy! Trying seeing this scenario these days especially on the way to Dover!

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Ford prefect, an early member of the Cloc'ers club, thats what coach drivers call them,

Central Lane Owners Club.

John.

Ha ha that’s what I noticed first too !!!

In the days when they used to test E Types full chat going at 150mph, well at least once for the advertising.

Andy

25 minutes ago, Hamish said:

+1

Spare wheel wouldn't fit in the correct place even in those days!

Tim

2 hours ago, PodOne said:

In the days when they used to test E Types full chat going at 150mph, well at least once for the advertising.

Andy

Not just e-types

anything fast- and exotic 

and not always road registered!!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motorsport/day-jack-sears-hit-185mph-m1-motorway

my old man had all sorts of stories. That and testing around Guildford. The hogs back was a popular test route for race cars apparently 

9 hours ago, dwaters said:

Here’s one for the archives. A pal of mine found this slide that his father took when the M1 first opened in 1959. I wonder who it was enjoying a blast in the outside lane?

Happy Days!

David

8D7B3D0B-EE8A-425F-9424-D09CB6F848FB.jpeg

Do I see an hard shoulder?   Just gagging to become a smart/death lane

I remember the Tonight show with Cliff Michelmore in which, just before the 70 limit came into force, they had someone drive a DB4 form London to Leeds twice, once sticking to the proposed limit and once not. IIRC the time difference was 10 minutes. I was very disappointed that it wasn't more!

Pete

20 hours ago, monty said:

Lovely & not busy! Trying seeing this scenario these days

It's like that but even less busy on the M45 most of the time. I've often driven from Daventry to Coventry and not seen a single car.

It was said that it was built because some MP had a house in Coventry and wanted to get to the M1 as quick as he could.

Charlie.

British Movietone was there to cover the opening, which included these rather austere words of warning from then Transport Minister, Ernest Marples:

"It will bring immense benefits if drivers use discipline, common sense and obey the rules. But disaster and tragedy may descend on those who drive recklessly or selfishly. For on this magnificent road, the speed which can easily be reached is so great, that senses may be numbed, and judgement warped".

:blink:

Deggers

Edited by Deggers
On 7/25/2022 at 7:10 PM, Hamish said:

Me too.

On 7/25/2022 at 11:35 PM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Do I see an hard shoulder?   Just gagging to become a smart/death lane

When the very early M1 sections were opened in 1959 I understand the hard shoulder was only MoT type 1 sub base (crushed limestone or sand & gravel ballast) with surface dressing (tar spray & chipping) and it was not unusual for heavy lorries pulling onto it becoming bogged down. Rapid upgrade followed but to a lower quality of construction to the adjacent carriageway to permit emergency vehicle access in the event of an incident. It was never contemplated as a running lane until the 70s when failure of those early Motorways started the major reconstruction programme and the hard shoulder was needed to divert traffic onto to allow full depth excavation and rebuild of the adjacent running lanes. At that time the hard shoulders were rebuilt to the same standard as the main running lanes for future usage. 

Dave McD

This was the M1 on Wednesday 27/7/22 between M25 and Harpenden turn off.

811AA24C-0D05-4298-8589-47BD4A6877B4.jpeg

552CC8B1-965F-4CB4-B554-B8EA625D304B.jpeg

Obviously the green brigade not so important back then. Note oil staining on inside lane, not so much centre lane and none in fast lane.

Obviously Ford Transits didn't leak at 100 mph.

28 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Obviously the green brigade not so important back then. Note oil staining on inside lane, not so much centre lane and none in fast lane.

Obviously Ford Transits didn't leak at 100 mph.

That "staining" is more likely to be tyre based from HGVs ( or lorries as they were called in 1959). they were restricted to much lower speed limits back then, indeed they were not capable of much more then 40mph, and the maximum weight would have been 30tons if you had an eight wheel rigid pulling a Dyson trailer. The Ford transit was introduced another few years after that picture and certainly wasn't capable of 100mph.