Good morning. The car has been suffering from a misfire. Mostly it is just an occasional one or two when cruising in 4 o/d at around 2500. You can accelerate strongly with no problem.

I have checked the points, the wires in the distributor and the wires to the coil (which has been changed). Checked the carbs and cleaned them so pistons move cleanly. Dashpots checked. Checked the two float chambers and the front had a low fuel level. The needle valve seemed a bit sticky so changed for a Grose.

A while ago the misfiring was worse and with these checks I have arrived at the current situation.

Oh yes Plugs have been changed for a used set; Will get new ones today.

What could I be missing?

Condenser? The Stag started to misfire badly whilst on holiday in Cornwall the week before last. It turned out to be the wire to the condenser had frayed to the point of coming away from the unit when touched. It was strange because only a few weeks earlier I had replaced the points and cleaned everything up within the distributer and the condenser wire didn't show as a cause of concern. Having fitted a new condenser I must say tat the car runs better than it did before the major misfire so it was probably on its way out for a while.

If you haven't already changing the HT leads and distributor cap could be worth trying too.

Thanks for the extra ideas. It sounds as if the condenser problem was the wire rather than the condenser?

Would a condenser give accasional problems rather than breaking down completely. It's been in the car some years and I am always concerned about replacing with new items which often turn out to be rubbish.

Years ago, my first car was a Triumph Herald. That would develop a misfire when hot, and then after cooling all was OK for a while until hot again. That was the condenser - one of the reasons it's still one of my first things to check. I agree with you concern over modern parts though....

• 2 weeks later...

Suite et fin....hopefully.

Condenser from the Distributor Doctor fitted. All seems OK now !

Lovely run out this morning to a monthly meeting. 28°c so much cooler. More higher temps to come again. Under the trees in the garden now about to deal with a bottle of chilled rosé.

13 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Suite et fin....hopefully.

Condenser from the Distributor Doctor fitted. All seems OK now !

Lovely run out this morning to a monthly meeting. 28°c so much cooler. More higher temps to come again. Under the trees in the garden now about to deal with a bottle of chilled rosé.

The mediocre quality of condensors (and rotors) is why I have and recommend electronic ignition to our members. 

I went for 40 years with British cars and my TR2 specifically not knowing what a condensor was. It failed about 7 years ago and since then I have been through 6. Only my concours standard TR2 has points now.

17 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Very happy to stay with points. At least you can investigate problems which I guess is not so with electronic.

We do have a known source of good parts with the DD.

Keep the points and condensor in a zip lock bag in the boot. The benefits of electronic ignition are so great that they have overpowered my desire to keep things original.

DD rebuilt my distributor and fitted  Pertronix electric switching unit instead of points.

I keep a fully built spare base plate with points etc in a ziplock in the gap next to the battery.