TR4 updating brakes

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

I have a 1963 TR4 and would like to update my braking system to have better stopping power.

Also does anyone recommend EZ electric  power steering  ?

I live in the southwest.

Thanks Maggie

If the brakes are in good condition they are more than adequate to stop under all conditions, if your not used to unassisted brakes then try a servo before you do anything else. The EZ power steering isnt that good a conversion to my mind and require a lot of power to run it, you may well find fitting decent 165 tyres will lighten the steering a lot. Where in the Southwest are you?

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, stuart said:

If the brakes are in good condition they are more than adequate to stop under all conditions, if your not used to unassisted brakes then try a servo before you do anything else. The EZ power steering isnt that good a conversion to my mind and require a lot of power to run it, you may well find fitting decent 165 tyres will lighten the steering a lot. Where in the Southwest are you?

Stuart.

HI Stuart,

I live near Taunton.

I will check out your suggestions

Thanks maggie 

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Stuart.

Hi Stuart,

I would love to drive down and speak to you but at the moment i don't trust the TR to make it that far.

So what servo would you recommend and any other bits needed. Also i'm in the process of fitting new seals in the brake master cylinder.

Apparently there is another PAS company classic driving development.

Maggie

33 minutes ago, hawkinsm said:

Hi Stuart,

Apparently there is another PAS company classic driving development.

Maggie

Their PAS kit is quite expensive and you also need to factor in fitting a thin fan belt kit and an electric fan as well as probably an alternator. All told fitted and back on the road you would be looking at the thick end of £3k

There are a number of servo kits available from likes of TR Shop/Moss.Brake servo kit

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
18 minutes ago, stuart said:

Their PAS kit is quite expensive and you also need to factor in fitting a thin fan belt kit and an electric fan as well as probably an alternator. All told fitted and back on the road you would be looking at the thick end of £3k

There are a number of servo kits available from likes of TR Shop/Moss.Brake servo kit

Stuart.

That is expensive PAS

I have 165 tyres what tyres would you recommend ?

Maggie

1 hour ago, hawkinsm said:

That is expensive PAS

Maggie

165 is ideal, there is a limited amount available in that size though the Michelin XAS being the most expensive https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/tyres/165-15/165vr15-michelin-xas.html

https://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/165-80-15

Stuart.

4 hours ago, hawkinsm said:

That is expensive PAS

Maggie

Hi Stuart,

What brake fluid should use DOT 4 or DOT 5 when replacing master cylinder seals.

Sorry for all the questions

Maggie

Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 is mineral 

dot 5 is silicone 

if you have a complete flushed system that’s everything not just the master cylinders you can use either.

If there is any of the old system left, e.g. the rear wheel cylinders you need to use the same as previously personally I use mineral

John

Quality tyres, a wheel alignment and fitting a servo will help.

An EPAS system is doable, but expensive, with having to upgrade the electrical system and provide good support for the steering column.

6 hours ago, Colin Symonds said:

I have the 165 Vredestein T-trac 2 on my 4a, and they have performed really well for me giving me reliable grip and handling.

+1

Do you think Dunlop sell many at £221 each?

Ralph

15 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Dot 4 or Dot 5.1 is mineral 

dot 5 is silicone 

if you have a complete flushed system that’s everything not just the master cylinders you can use either.

If there is any of the old system left, e.g. the rear wheel cylinders you need to use the same as previously personally I use mineral

John

DOT4 and 5.1 are  Glycol Ether based.

Mineral oil is a big No No in our cars.

Mainly Rolls Royce and Citroen

Roger

19 hours ago, hawkinsm said:

Hi Stuart,

What brake fluid should use DOT 4 or DOT 5 when replacing master cylinder seals.

Sorry for all the questions

Maggie

DOT4 is my usual choice, or for spirited driving then DOT5.1

DOT5 is a completely different thing altogether as its a Silicon based fluid and should never be mixed with anything else.

Stuart.

5 hours ago, RogerH said:

DOT4 and 5.1 are  Glycol Ether based.

Mineral oil is a big No No in our cars.

Mainly Rolls Royce and Citroen

Roger

Can't see where I mentioned oil?

John.