TR4 Windscreen Seal

i am having a problem with finding a seal and a compatible trim/filler. Does anyone have samples of the original parts? I have bought (and returned) several of these

from different suppliers. All are the same and the groove in the rubber is different in section from the plastic trim. The plastic is taller than the depth of the groove.

All the suppliers insist they are as original and there have been no other complaints. In the past I have fitted many windscreens and most Brit cars use a similar type of seal

so I am unable to understand why this is happening.

Moss screen rubber is the best fit. fit the rubber to the glass then fit the trim and then fit the lot to the car.

Stuart.

Hi,

As per Stuart have just done mine and although time consuming fitted perfectly.

Fit rubber around glass and tape in place with masking tape to glass

Fit trim into groove and again tape in place - it will sit proud.

Put parachute cord into seal with a loop coiming out at each corner.

Lay screen onto fram and starting at one corner pull loop amd get rubber to fit over lip on frame- i also use a flat blade screwdriver but be carefull.

As the rubber goes into the frame  the gap holding the trim closes up and grips the tongue of the trim.

The trim is then held and the sits flush or very slightly proud of the rubber. You are not tyring to get it recessed into the rubber.

All in all took approx 45 mins.

My rubber and trim were from Rimmers and fitted perfectly.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:51 PM, ntc said:

Do not fit the trim and leave for 24 hours before cutting the the joint for the cover 

Unfortunately. the root of the issue is that the trim does not fit the rubber seal. I do not know which part ,or both,  are wrong. The screen is in the seal in the aperture and I do not intend to remove it until a solution is found.

On 7/20/2022 at 5:12 PM, DMRL said:

Hi,

As per Stuart have just done mine and although time consuming fitted perfectly.

Fit rubber around glass and tape in place with masking tape to glass

Fit trim into groove and again tape in place - it will sit proud.

Put parachute cord into seal with a loop coiming out at each corner.

Lay screen onto fram and starting at one corner pull loop amd get rubber to fit over lip on frame- i also use a flat blade screwdriver but be carefull.

As the rubber goes into the frame  the gap holding the trim closes up and grips the tongue of the trim.

The trim is then held and the sits flush or very slightly proud of the rubber. You are not tyring to get it recessed into the rubber.

All in all took approx 45 mins.

Thanks, I will try that. My problem was that when the car arrived the screen was loose and no sign of rubber or trim.

The first picture shows the typical Triumph type of filler strip, the second shows a more common type of BL strip, in this case Morris Minor. It sounds like you have either the wrong rubber or the wrong filler strip.

Ralph

20220723_100508.jpg

20220723_100527.jpg

On 7/20/2022 at 5:12 PM, DMRL said:

Hi,

13 hours ago, tr graham said:

Rimmer bros seal is **** ,and does not hold the trim they say is correct and supply . Also said nobody else complained.

Interesting that we have 2 opposite reports. Sounds like one of Rimmers monkeys sent Graham the wrong parts.

Ralph

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Interesting that we have 2 opposite reports. Sounds like one of Rimmers monkeys sent Graham the wrong parts.

Ralph

Not so. I know several people who have been displeased with Rimmer seals. I always fit the Moss ones.

Stuart.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:39 PM, geofjag3A said:

Unfortunately. the root of the issue is that the trim does not fit the rubber seal. I do not know which part ,or both,  are wrong. The screen is in the seal in the aperture and I do not intend to remove it until a solution is found.

R U trying to fit the complete trim in the rubber grove ??   rather than just the flange  ?

NTCs advice spot on re waiting to cut

Roy