Using Dry Guide Coat for blocking.

Anyone else using this method for blocking panels prior to top coat.

Found it very effective on my project car. Much better than the wet spray blocking.

IMG_1589.JPG

IMG_1591.JPG

IMG_1590.JPG

Edited by Malbaby

Being "Old school" I just spray a mist coat of black across the primer and then block off after. FWIW using a DA to dry sand primer doesnt always get rid of all the scratches plus it can leave a rippled finish. much better for the sort of panel finish I prefer especially for dark coloured cars is to use a long block and w/dry sand. This is especially true for cellulose paint finish even though I do use 2k primer. 2K clear over base it doesnt matter so much but thats not my preferred finish.

Stuart.

094.JPG

I should have prefaced my post that long blocking using wet coat had already been thoroughly completed prior to the final dry blocking method used to eliminate very small scratches and imperfections which are filled with the rubbed in dry powder.

11 hours ago, Malbaby said:

I should have prefaced my post that long blocking using wet coat had already been thoroughly completed prior to the final dry blocking method used to eliminate very small scratches and imperfections which are filled with the rubbed in dry powder.

But by using the DA youve just destroyed all that hard work with the flat block as a DA can never be run dead flat.If you had wet flatted to 600grit with long blocks that should have eliminated all the scratches ready for top coat, if you still had scratches then you should apply another coat of primer and then guide coat and block again.

Stuart.