Fuel pump and filter routing

4 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Another hurdle in my never ending mission to sort out my fuel system !

My aluminium tank outlet has a 12.5mm dia banjo bolt with a 1.25 pitch on the thread. The banjo itself is 13mm to an 8mm hose tail.

What I need to convert everything to 10mm is a 13mm banjo to a 10mm hose tail. Otherwise I'm stuck with 8mm to the filter and 10mm from there on, which is somewhat defeating the object.

I've searched around, but no joy. 

Aha ! I think I may have found the issue thanks to this post below. I think my tank outlet is 1/2" UNF with 20 TPI. RobH or John Davies or anyone else for that matter know where to source a suitable sized banjo to 10mm hose tail ? My brain is quite literally fried.

Edited by Jonny TR6

Finally sorted out a solution. Spoke to Rob at TRGB - they do a big bore push on tank outlet in the correct thread. I'm going to get this machined down from 13mm o/d to 10mm o/d. That will fit into my stainless braided PTFE 10mm I/d hose. Dispensing with the banjo at the tank outlet and as Mike recommends, will fit an inline fuel tap.

Pics to be posted in due course, once all the bits arrive.

Is it beer o'clock yet ? 

Jonny, which in-line pump are you using? that looks like it would fit well where ours is now.

44 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Finally sorted out a solution. Spoke to Rob at TRGB - they do a big bore push on tank outlet in the correct thread. I'm going to get this machined down from 13mm o/d to 10mm o/d. That will fit into my stainless braided PTFE 10mm I/d hose. Dispensing with the banjo at the tank outlet and as Mike recommends, will fit an inline fuel tap.

Pics to be posted in due course, once all the bits arrive.

Is it beer o'clock yet ? 

Nope and only to downsize at the mu.

51 minutes ago, Steve-B said:

Jonny, which in-line pump are you using? that looks like it would fit well where ours is now.

Bosch 044 which came with the car. Pretty standard I think.

4 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

I wish I knew what you meant Neil. Care to expand ?!

Yep measure the internal diameter of the union at the mu Triumph got it right years ago and many have done 100k miles with it remember the the original pump could suck the replacement’s can not and if mounting outside the weakest link will be the electrical connection.

10 hours ago, ntc said:

Yep measure the internal diameter of the union at the mu Triumph got it right years ago and many have done 100k miles with it remember the the original pump could suck the replacement’s can not and if mounting outside the weakest link will be the electrical connection.

Got my fuel pump as low as possible with a sensible bore feeding it, appreciate that post pump is less important as it’s pressurised and don’t anticipate changing anything around the MU aside from fitting a pressure gauge take off.

Agreed on the pump electrical connections being at risk outside the car and although it’ll be a dry days only car (hopefully), I’ll be looking into protecting the connections.

15 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Bosch 044 which came with the car. Pretty standard I think.

Thanks Jonny...!

Busy day today - got the custom bracket back and having painted it, I popped it in place so that I can get the correct length of fuel hose from the T piece.

Unfortunately dinner and wine stopped me in my tracks 

06FDF269-DD74-4D61-A25A-412EDB206EDA.jpeg

D1BB147E-565B-4EFF-90ED-6E08255E2372.jpeg

Final pieces of the fuel system puzzle where I could do with a little assistance please...

Anyone know the thread size for the top of the brass T where the pump feed goes on to ?

Also, I'm going to get my local Pirtek to make me up one of these https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-214890SS but need to know the fitting sizes at each end. Can't get access on axle stands to get my existing one off, so it'll have to be a garage jobby and will be handy to have the new one to bolt back on.

I'm going to install a pressure gauge take off point on it at the same time.

Many thanks !

On 8/2/2022 at 12:07 PM, john.r.davies said:

My modern PRV, like yours from Prestige, I have mounted on its own bracket.   It has some mass and out on the end of the OE valve body, will expert a moment on the connections if not supported.

No pic, I'm out and on my mobile. Glad to post if you wish.

John

Curse you John R. Davies - no way I could have left the new PRV without making a bracket !

Severely over-engineered 1.5mm steel, but it’ll add an additional brace point if the car ever gets whacked :D

Very very nearly at the end of my fuel system refurb. 10mm id ethanol proof PTFE braided hose where possible and R9 braided where I couldn’t use PTFE.

Permanent connections all crimped and other connections using either double ear o rings, or fuel hose clips on the returns to the tank,in case that needs to come out.

Finally - one for Neil - the fuel pump connections have rubber boots, doubly secured with tie wraps. No way any water’s getting in there and they’re also pointing down on installation.

Total cost of the PTFE hoses, some connections and crimping was £20 at my local Pirtek. They know me well in there now and it’s been enjoyable getting it all set up.

Final pics to follow when it’s all finally installed….

FB419DD4-25DC-4506-BD05-42A976D2AC36.jpeg

22DC0F83-BF21-4EC0-BFFF-09EA163110F2.jpeg

Edited by Jonny TR6

This is a very helpful thread guys as the TR Shop had 1 fuel pump replacement kit in stock when I called them last week. They said it comes with all the hoses, etc so I look forward to starting down the path on Sunday. There’s lots of great hints and details in your information so I hope I can make sense of it all!

I’m sure I’ll be back soon with pictures and questions :o

Edited by Steve-B
58 minutes ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Curse you John R. Davies - no way I could have left the new PRV without making a bracket !

Severely over-engineered 1.5mm steel, but it’ll add an additional brace point if the car ever gets whacked :D

Very very nearly at the end of my fuel system refurb. 10mm id ethanol proof PTFE braided hose where possible and R9 braided where I couldn’t use PTFE.

Permanent connections all crimped and other connections using either double ear o rings, or fuel hose clips on the returns to the tank,in case that needs to come out.

Finally - one for Neil - the fuel pump connections have rubber boots, doubly secured with tie wraps. No way any water’s getting in there and they’re also pointing down on installation.

Total cost of the PTFE hoses, some connections and crimping was £20 at my local Pirtek. They know me well in there now and it’s been enjoyable getting it all set up.

Final pics to follow when it’s all finally installed….

FB419DD4-25DC-4506-BD05-42A976D2AC36.jpeg

22DC0F83-BF21-4EC0-BFFF-09EA163110F2.jpeg

Good waterproofing.  
How are the cables protected from stones etc thrown up by the rear wheels?

Is there an additional stone shield to bolt on that you have not shewn?

Peter W

Cables are sleeved with fairly heavy duty sheathing and I’m also going to pop a nylon braid over them as well.

The pump and filter aren’t protected by a stone guard, but then again, neither are any of the flow and returns to and from the MU, which run under the car, although I may make up a perforated cage to allow airflow to cool the pump.

I do have to stop somewhere though…

Jonny

A bracket worthy of the Great Bracket Maker of Project Binkie!   

Except for the lack of fixed nuts - consider those, the Project and its fixed nut bracketry inspired me to use them wherever I can!  That stone guard would be a ideal subject!

Edited by john.r.davies
29 minutes ago, john.r.davies said:

Jonny

A bracket worthy of the Great Bracket Maker of Project Binkie!   

Except for the lack of fixed nuts - consider those, the Project and its fixed nut bracketry inspired me to use them wherever I can!  That stone guard would be a ideal subject!

Are you talking rivnuts JRD ? Got a load of them waiting to be used. Just look a bit shonky when compressed and on show, although they do aid installation.

I’ve used them for the brass T mount though so getting there.

I would make a deflector plate for any outside pump/filter installation, much better to be safe.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Are you talking rivnuts JRD ? Got a load of them waiting to be used. Just look a bit shonky when compressed and on show, although they do aid installation.

I’ve used them for the brass T mount though so getting there.

No,no,noooooooooooooo!

The Great Bracket Maker, His Nickness, bolts a ordinary nut to the hole and tack welds it in place.   Tacks only, not fully welded, just enough to hold the hut while  tightened. Once the fixing bolt is tightened the nut is as fixed as the bracket.    The weld just holds it in the right place to make assembly/disassembly easier.

See almost any episode of Project Binky.   There's an excellent example here, at 30 minutes in:  https://badobsessionmotorsport.co.uk/project-binky-episode-32/

John

Ah - thanks John. Don’t possess welding gear, but do know a very funny joke about Jonny the Welder…

Wasn't aware of Project Binky - will read up !

Edited by Jonny TR6

If your setting a a TR6 fuel system hose clamps are a big issue. I've always used double quality Jubilee clips without any problems  For info this was just posted on a support page for an old GM vehicle I use for country trips, my apologies for the high speed commentary.

Edited by Mike C

Jubilee clips are not too good in small sizes because the worm drive portion stops them being truly round as they close up.  Proper fuel-line clamps are better but don't have the same wide adjustment range - you have to get the right size. 

Thanks for sharing Mike.
High speed commentary indeed:)
Although the test with the drilled holes does not mimic normal conditions (hose on a ferrule), it gives a good comparison. It appears the “open slotted” designs are of a lower quality.

Waldi