RHD conversion

Good evening all,

I am guessing that a few of you may have converted LHD to RHD in the past, does anyone have a rough idea of how much this costs are, and who in the midlands is very capable of carrying out the work ?

Thank you all in advance if you reply,

cheers Phil.

I've done a few but always as part of complete restorations. I think you'll be surprised by the cost - unless you are lucky and / or scrape together used bits it's going to be £1500+ in parts, and the best part of a week in labour.

I wouldn't bother doing one unless I was taking the car apart anyway.

I once did one over a Saturday night to a imported Texas TR6 (best body I have ever seen on a TR!) for a mate/customer on a tight budget.

No new parts were used. The rack is the same as a RHD Vitesse, GT6, Triumph 2000/2.5 after swapping the ends over from the LHD TR6 rack.

The dash back panel was cut into three, the flanges knocked over, the sides reversed, and then welded back together. 

Because he was in a rush to get in onto the road after the weekend (and he was tight!) we even cut the wooden dash into three, the center bit stays the same, and we flipped the ends as a a temporary fix. 

Pedals were modified, by cutting, bending, and additional bit welded on for different clutch operation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/14/2022 at 6:15 PM, multipletriumphsinner said:

I once did one over a Saturday night to a imported Texas TR6 (best body I have ever seen on a TR!) for a mate/customer on a tight budget.

No new parts were used. The rack is the same as a RHD Vitesse, GT6, Triumph 2000/2.5 after swapping the ends over from the LHD TR6 rack.

The dash back panel was cut into three, the flanges knocked over, the sides reversed, and then welded back together. 

Because he was in a rush to get in onto the road after the weekend (and he was tight!) we even cut the wooden dash into three, the center bit stays the same, and we flipped the ends as a a temporary fix. 

Pedals were modified, by cutting, bending, and additional bit welded on for different clutch operation.

Please confirm or otherwise...the actual length of the TR6 rack itself is the same length as the 2.5??

I agree that it is much more than you think and I'm doing it as part of a body-off restoration. You will need to extend the wiring loom, I suspect, and probably a reasonable number of 'things to move / fit around' to get it all to fit. There is the steering column support to make too.

9 hours ago, Malbaby said:

Please confirm or otherwise...the actual length of the TR6 rack itself is the same length as the 2.5??

The rack body, and innards are the same, its only the bits that stick out at the ends (track rod end one end, and swivel ball the other) that are different, and need swapping from the LHD TR rack.

44 minutes ago, multipletriumphsinner said:

Spot weld drill the old LHD one off, and bend the legs the other way, and Fay Presto you have a RHD one.

Revingtons have the RHD ones in stock.

Stuart.

It depends to a certain extent on what you want it to look like when finished, a quickly chopped up LHD car or one that looks to be more or less perfect, and how much you can do yourself and what you are willing to spend. It's not a difficult job to do and there are many very helpful experts on this forum to guide you as you progress

David

9 hours ago, Richard Pope said:

I agree that it is much more than you think and I'm doing it as part of a body-off restoration. You will need to extend the wiring loom, I suspect, and probably a reasonable number of 'things to move / fit around' to get it all to fit. There is the steering column support to make too.

I've extended tr6 wiring looms for LHD to RHD but would never agree to do it that way again. Hours of soldering, most likely the old loom is crusty anyway. New harness is cheap enough.

15 hours ago, stuart said:

Revingtons have the RHD ones in stock.

Stuart.

They are made by a chap here in Coventry, he sometimes trade's them on Ebay.

It really is relatively easy, and quick to modify the LHD one, and if you are careful it should be indistinguishable from original RHD one.

2 hours ago, multipletriumphsinner said:

They are made by a chap here in Coventry, he sometimes trade's them on Ebay.

It really is relatively easy, and quick to modify the LHD one, and if you are careful it should be indistinguishable from original RHD one.

As its a fairly critical steering part Im not keen on re-bending something thats been bent once already, recipe for a crack. Ive had to weld up enough of the original right hand drive ones where they have cracked to not want to make the situation worse.

Stuart.

I've got one I was going to take to Stafford:angry: Its a good used one - see photos £15 + postage

I've also got a couple of genuine OE RHD TR4A metal dashes - one is blasted and red leaded - £275 , the other is rust free but painted in silver - £250

Contact me if of interest if you have my details, or otherwise, PM me

Cheers Rich

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

IMG_1745.jpg

IMG_1746.jpg

IMG_1747.jpg