where to start

Quite a few TR6 auction sold last week, prices here:

https://www.brightwells.com/timed-sale/5241

Bill

Hi Philip

As others have said just drive the car and find out what really needs doing. If you haven't done it already then go to a garage that is used to classic cars and put it through an MOT or get a TR expert to look it over. Before worrying about bhp I would be more concerned with checking that brakes, steering, drive shafts, suspension and chassis was ok. Also check that tyres aren't several years old and need replacing. Mechanics functioning properly is more important than respray and new carpets. I think you will find that there is plenty enough power and torque under the bonnet for UK roads. I have a 4 cylinder 4A with standard engine etc and been up and down the Alps and mountains in UK and France and Spain with no worries about enough horses. Brakes are another matter and I have fitted a servo and modified the handbrake and it is now fine in that respect.

Just drive it and enjoy it

Keith

On 7/2/2022 at 4:58 PM, trchris said:

Hi Phil

Welcome Rogers beat me to it make a list of jobs and go from there there's plenty you can do to increase the torque on the engine but it will be costly if you go overboard with it , I'm sure others will give you some excellent advise on this. Are you going to change to right hand drive? and don't forget there's plenty on here to help you do a search or just ask 

Chris

Cheers Chris, much appreciated, I may just keep it left hand as I am as comfortable driving left hand as right , as other members have said do the smaller jobs first and enjoy the car for a while, sounds like a plan , and meanwhile I best start saving up a few quid by the sounds of it :) thanks again phil

Hi Phil,

As much as I agree with Marco and others about starting with the best car you can afford, once you have made the call, I would start with everything safety/reliability related.

Went there last year on my 4 that was supposedly very good and went through MOT in 2 European countries without any other comment than "oil leak below engine".  One bolt was missing from the front suspension, brake and clutch fluids were long gone, fuel lines too, tires were 12 years old, too much play in transmission from UJ's. 

So i would not start with the engine but would make sure the car is safe to drive and enjoy it before thinking about PI, Webers, head cam, 

And yes i'm way over initial budget by i knew it and was ok with that.

cheers.

Laurent

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 5:52 PM, John Morrison said:

Hello Philip and yes, Welcome.

where to start, find your local TR Register group get along to a meeting, join the club, and get some knowledgeable, local hands on information. 
whereabouts are you?

You have great opportunity to have a fabulous hobby and bags of fun.

as others have said you will need a list of priorities , but to be honest running a classic 50 year old car you will always have a list, it’s part of the fun.

John

Hi John Thank you , I have been to my first club meeting in Derbyshire dales which I really enjoyed, i think Leicester may be nearer though, perhaps I can visit both ? but I agree I think always a list , Cheers

On 7/3/2022 at 5:30 PM, keith1948 said:

Hi Philip

As others have said just drive the car and find out what really needs doing. If you haven't done it already then go to a garage that is used to classic cars and put it through an MOT or get a TR expert to look it over. Before worrying about bhp I would be more concerned with checking that brakes, steering, drive shafts, suspension and chassis was ok. Also check that tyres aren't several years old and need replacing. Mechanics functioning properly is more important than respray and new carpets. I think you will find that there is plenty enough power and torque under the bonnet for UK roads. I have a 4 cylinder 4A with standard engine etc and been up and down the Alps and mountains in UK and France and Spain with no worries about enough horses. Brakes are another matter and I have fitted a servo and modified the handbrake and it is now fine in that respect.

Just drive it and enjoy it

Keith

Brilliant Keith , thank you for those words of wisdom, you've converted my thought pattern already , cheers

1 hour ago, Philip said:

Hi John Thank you , I have been to my first club meeting in Derbyshire dales which I really enjoyed, i think Leicester may be nearer though, perhaps I can visit both ? but I agree I think always a list , Cheers

hi Philip, 

of course you can visit Leicester Group, indeed any group in the country, even if you are on your hols!

John.