Oil Filter Housing Leak

Good Afternoon All,

Frustrating afternoon in the garage. I have a slight oil leak which appears to be coming from the 'Front Bottom' bolt which holds the filter housing onto the block. I have taken the housing off and fitted a new gasket, but I noticed there is a channel between the bolt hole and the bottom gallery. I have fitted a copper washer under the bolt head but the leak persists. Just why it would start leaking now is beyond me, the engine was built by TR Enterprises 13-years ago without any issues until now.

Any thoughts from anyone.

Regards,

Cliff

Might be a help. look at moss parts book item 21 & 22 are listed as copper washers of differing sizes! The larger hole one goes on the inside of the banjo to allow oil through pipe , other way round it sprays over the engine. Once flooded/bitten you never forget!

Regards

14 hours ago, Ecosse said:

Good Afternoon All,

Frustrating afternoon in the garage. I have a slight oil leak which appears to be coming from the 'Front Bottom' bolt which holds the filter housing onto the block. I have taken the housing off and fitted a new gasket, but I noticed there is a channel between the bolt hole and the bottom gallery. I have fitted a copper washer under the bolt head but the leak persists. Just why it would start leaking now is beyond me, the engine was built by TR Enterprises 13-years ago without any issues until now.

Any thoughts from anyone.

Regards,

Cliff

Hi Cliff,

the channel is to allow oil to pass up the bolt hole to the oil pressure pipe which should be attached to that stud with a banjo and 2 copper washers, secured in place with a special cap nut.

Where is your oil pressure pipe attached if not to that stud ?.

Ralph

16 minutes ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Hi Cliff,

the channel is to allow oil to pass up the bolt hole to the oil pressure pipe which should be attached to that stud with a banjo and 2 copper washers, secured in place with a special cap nut.

Where is your oil pressure pipe attached if not to that stud ?.

Ralph

Beat me to it. It is very important to have the right washers in that fitting.

Good Morning Ian, Ralph and John,

It all falls into place now, my oil pressure feed pipe comes of the oil gallery running along the block, as far as I can remember that has always been the case.

Looks like I shall have to revert to standard, it still seems odd that it has just started leaking now.

Thanks for your help.

Cliff

Cliff,

unless you are worried about originality I would leave the oil pipe where it is and do as  Steve says and anneal the washer before fitting, You talk of a bolt being used to fasten the filter housing on, if that is the case then a soft copper washer should work, but if you still have the original stud in the block and are using a nut, then the copper washer will not seal the threads of the nut and oil will find it`s way up between the stud and nut, in which case a new nyloc nut with some sealer on the stud threads might be what you need as well as the copper washer.

Ralph

+1 for what Ralph says.

I have the oil take off from a gallery bolt and just made sure that the bolt where the pipe was supposed to go was oil tight.

Charlie.

Good Morning Ralph and Charlie,

Thanks for your replies.

The oil pressure feed pipe has come off the gallery for as long as I can remember, so I shall just leave it. I have fitted a new copper washer and applied silicone sealant to the bolt which has resolved the issue.

Thanks again.

Cliff