have found the "Dot" on the crankshaft gear, its now at TDC, but the gear on the cam has 2 reference points and I'm not sure of which one is to align with the dot on the crank gear.

see Pic, note the scribe mark under the lower "dot" TIA.

P1080890.jpg

P1080889.jpg

Edited by pfenlon
spelling

311B05C2-45F4-40A7-8AD9-9D7FAC009491.thumb.jpeg.6e96d3dc419ea5503402f6ac1a345e3c.jpegHi Pete,

Once I had established TDC of the crack shaft, I used a 360 degr. print bolted on the crankshaft to check the cam shaft timing. With this I was able to exactly check valve-open and valve close point. Think I just the dot just for coarse timing. My cam was symmetric. 

So maybe just install with the arrowed mark opposite to the mark on the crank shaft gear mark and see what the actual opening and closing of your valves is? Note the valve clearance influences both the opening- and closing-point (delays- and advances-).

Waldi

Edited by Waldi

Waldi,

If I have mentioned it before, forgive me.    But the nature of Triumph cam shafts allows a very simple method of timing the cam, without the need for degrees or protractors.   It's called "Equal Lift on Overlap' (ELoO).

The usual way of doing this requires at least on and preferably two dial gauges, are costly.   But recently, I came upon an simpler variant of ELoO.    Read about it, and see my link to my original ELoO posting, at https://sideways-technologies.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/9639-a-new-method-of-cam-timing/#comment-134285

Good luck with it!

John

Hi John,
That’s an interesting method. Did you verify  the method (result) with dial gauges?  I can imagine a water level is less accurate than gauges (or am I missing the concept?)

Cheers,
Waldi

PS: It was Pete who had an ask about the markings on his cam gear.

Yes and it's spot on.  You given me a god idea, Waldi!   I was using a spirit level, but a water level, tube almost filled with water, the level of the water at each end always on a horizontal line!

image.thumb.png.b91b61c1b1d1b17de09ab6dacb07cb59.png

John

Hi John,

the “water level” idea was just a result of my not so brilliant English vocabulary:rolleyes:; don’t over-estimate me!

Cheers,
Waldi