Pics of X519 at the 1953 Geneva Motor Show

Interesting that the carb tops are black, and that the under bonnet area is a differnt colour to the outside. Is this the car that was used to set the records after the show?

Ralph

What is the "Triumph Prototype Register" Bill Piggott refers to in this post:
https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/60651-mwk-950/page/2/&tab=comments#comment-513072
Is anybody able to tell me how I might acquire a copy of this Triumph Prototype Register document?

To summarise as best I can, using mostly the epic thread shown above and a Bill Piggott book I bought way back in 1988:
Commission Number X505 plate was affixed to the bobtailed car shown at the Earls Court Motor Show of 1952.
Commission Number X508 plate was probably affixed to the second car, whose build spec began as bobtail, and which was then changed to TR2 spec during the build.
Commission Number X519 plate was affixed to the car shown at the Geneva Motor Show of 1953.
Commission Number X516 plate was affixed to the car that was registered in December 1953 as ORW666.

Is this list of Commission "X" cars complete or were there any other "X" commission plates issued?

I have to say thank you to those knowledgeable souls still with us who have worked to keep this information from fading into oblivion over the decades, particularly the long decade of the 70s when so many of these cars were widely considered unfashionable.

The X list is very much larger. It covers all developments not just completed cars, but also components and tractor etc.

X was I assume experimental or a development component and the list ran for decades.

I have seen the hallowed list once, can’t remember who’s copy. :-)

Iain

I can confirm that the Prototype Register details X519 as follows :

Commission No.  :  X519

Model  :  20T.S

Type  :  Triumph Sports

Registration No.  :  MVC 575 

Remarks  :  2nd Prototype – L.H.S. (modified rear end)

Thus was the Jabbeke car.

Regards, Richard

Graham Robson wrote a splendid series of articles on TR Prototypes, and these appeared on occasions between TR Actions 236 (20TS) and 256 (Broadside), with an article on the derivation of the TR2's Chassis Frame in TR Action 215.

I found these so useful that I copied each of them (with photos) into a Word document which spans 39 pages.

Probably ought to be placed into the club's library of technical information ?    If so, I could send to Wayne.

Ian Cornish