Hello All.

Just found that my bottom fuse has blown.

As we know, there are 3 x 30amp fuses on the TR6. Originally, these were Lucas fuses that were "17.5amp continuous, and 35amp blow".

Are the 35amp fuses that Halfords and others sell suitable to fit ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Probably not Mark. Unless it specifically says otherwise they will be modern types which are 35 Amp continuous.

If that is the case, until you can get the right ones  you could use their 20A fuses as those will blow quickly at around 40A.

Edited by RobH
4 minutes ago, RobH said:

Probably not Mark. Unless it specifically says otherwise they will be modern types which are 35 Amp continuous.

If that is the case, until you can get the right ones  you could use their 20A fuses as those will blow quickly at around 40A.

Thanks Rob. Problem is, the Lucas fuses are not available in the UK (from what I can see)

No they aren't Mike.  Unless they specifically state that these are Lucas style fuses, they are the modern ones with approximately double the fusing current.  As Mark says, all of the usual sources seem only to keep the American SFE style now. 

Important question #1 - Why has the fuse blown?

On the drive home from buying my car I switched on the heater fan and immediately had smoke coming out the top of the dash. Eventually the bottom fuse blew and I no longer had indicators, brake lights, wipers, overdrive, temperature and fuel gauge and of course the heater. When I checked the previous garage receipts that came with the car I found the fuse had been changed a number of times.

Moral of the story is find the source of the problem and fix it. In my case it was a failed heater motor and severely melted wires. I replaced the motor and melted wires and the problem was solved. I also replaced the fuse holder with a more modern 6 fuse unit. So I now have the circuits separated and run with much lower amperage fuses.

Good point.  If the fuse wire has obviously melted then there has been an overload and the cause must be rectified.

However, glass fuses can fail simply with age either through heat-cycling or with vibration, in which case the fuse wire looks intact but may have become detached at one end. 

11 hours ago, Mark Ogram said:

Hello All.

Just found that my bottom fuse has blown.

As we know, there are 3 x 30amp fuses on the TR6. Originally, these were Lucas fuses that were "17.5amp continuous, and 35amp blow".

Are the 35amp fuses that Halfords and others sell suitable to fit ?

Cheers,

Mark.

Are these any good Mark. Fuse

Not sure on the stockist as I’ve never used them.

1 hour ago, Kevo_6 said:

Are these any good Mark. Fuse

Not sure on the stockist as I’ve never used them.

Kev,

That's great thanks. Just ordered some. 

Cheers,

Mark.