Burning oil following rebuild

Following an engine rebuild I am now experiencing smoking on start up and consuming more oil than I ever have. The bore was 100% round and on size as standard but had new rings fitted. The head was professionally rebuilt with hardened valve seats. The performance is great but this smoking is annoying. I was slightly concerned that the new head gasket fitted looked a bit iffy and coupled with this I am loosing a bit of water too. Does anyone think that the issue could be the head gasket weeping? 

+1  White or Blue ?

Also why was the engine rebuilt ? 

and 

“The bore was 100% round and on size as standard but had new rings fitted.” ???

Does that mean the engine when stripped had new rings fitted already ? Or did you fit the new rings ?

What size new rings were fitted if by you ? Did you check the dimensions and what they were described as on the packaging ?

Did you check the piston ring clearance against the piston ring grooves in the pistons… all of them ?

Did you check what piston ring gap there was by sliding the piston rings into the bore and measuring at the top position and bottom of the piston stroke….What was it. ?

Did you adjust the gap ? If so what to ?

Were the liner bores glaze busted before the pistons were refitted ?

What head gasket was fitted ?

Standard  Copper/Asbestos/Copper 

Solid Copper gasket

Composite gasket

What did you think was “iffy”  about the head gasket ?

What torque figures did you use when torquing the head up ?

How many miles has the engine done since being rebuilt ?

Lots of info there needed, hopefully it may show the way forward.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

+1 for valve guides.  I had an A series engine converted to unleaded by a "professional" engine works, which included new valve guides as they said they needed to fit new guides to centre the valve cutting machine properly. When I got it back there was more play in the valve stems than there was in the first place. Had to fit another new set of guides myself.

Ralph

When I rebuilt my engine a few years ago I had clouds of white smoke from the exhaust.

A asked the forumites for their opinion and eventually someone asked if I’d checked that I’d put the piston rings in the right way round.

I pulled the pistons and found I’d put 50% of them upside down !

When corrected all was fine.

Just a possibility that one or more rings are fitted upside down, but a hassle to check.

Charlie.