TR6 Steering column cowl

The cowl is loose from the “down pipe” on my 6, so when I use overdrive, the cowl and switches rotate a bit. 

Was it originally tac welded to the pipe section? is there a simple fix for this, or column out? Or just put up with it? :lol:

Thanks

John

I believe there were a couple of spot welds.  Not always very good ones though, since reports of this don't seem to be that rare.

You might try to wick some kind of adhesive into the joint, but a good fix wil probably require column out.

Ed

Ive got a 6 here where the bell has obviously come loose and its been screwed back together with very short screws so as not to contact the shaft.

Stuart.

I think they are sort of pinged together no welds when I did the bushes on my column it was also loose so I marked the position and removed, which made changing the top one easy, then used gorilla glue to glue the two together

Chris  

15 hours ago, johnwill said:

Any views on where the rivers or screws should be positioned?

thanks

John

Zoom in on this picture.  There appears to be a spot weld near the neck of the cowl.  I'd try to put one there, and one on the opposite side.  I'm not sure if the shaft bushing extends up that far.  If it does, you may have to adjust the location of the fastener.

Ed

SDC12505a.JPG

1 hour ago, ed_h said:

Zoom in on this picture.  There appears to be a spot weld near the neck of the cowl.  I'd try to put one there, and one on the opposite side.  I'm not sure if the shaft bushing extends up that far.  If it does, you may have to adjust the location of the fastener.

Ed

SDC12505a.JPG

Thanks Ed

John

Had this happened on the round Britain run a few years ago. Solved it with some big pop rivets. 

Tim

Yep

On 6/30/2022 at 2:59 PM, Tim D. said:

Had this happened on the round Britain run a few years ago. Solved it with some big pop rivets. 

Tim

I used small rivets, but a slight contact with column now… will drive it a bit before deciding if it is ok, or a column out job.

7 hours ago, johnwill said:

I used small rivets, but a slight contact with column now… will drive it a bit before deciding if it is ok, or a column out job.

The rivets being soft Ali I would think will soon wear and give you some clearance.

Andy