Voltage stabiliser

Hi all, just replaced voltage stabilizer on Dixon ( ex-police TR4 ) with one from the back of a cupboard. I couldn't tell if it was for a positive or neg earth - if it's wrong for Dixon's +ve earth would I cause any havoc when I reconnect battery. I'm in Spain at the moment so spares not easy and not knowing coolant temp makes me nervous

Thanks for any help

The original bimetallic type of stabiliser is not polarised and will work on + or - earthed cars.  

The modern electronic type certainly is polarity dependent and using the wrong one will probably release smoke and at the very least blow the fuse.  If it is one of those it ought to be marked to tell you the polarity. 

Thanks for that Rob, it was from a 1970 ish car so looks like I'm oK - as long as it works!!

Hello John,

I can't help with the voltage stabiliser but, the fact you said your TR4 is ex police reminded me; In 1972 I was travelling north on the north circular road in my E Type when, I saw another E Type coming in the opposite direction which,  appeared to be having a burn up with a white TR4/4a , sadly for the E type driver he couldn't see what I could see.... that was two police men in the TR, I believe I saw 2 blue lights inside the grill, although I don't recall them flashing.  Maybe they had to observe the speeding car for a prescribed distance before going into blues and two's mode. 

And sadly for me I didn't have my type for long, even more sad for me, I am in contact with the present owner and as 1966 DHC it is worth a fortune and looks rather better than when I was the custodian.

I called it my "heap type"

Regards Ken.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ken, it seems TR4's were used by a few forces. My car was Southend on Sea and I am aware that Manchester had at least two. It's possible that 4100HJ is the only one with police equipment still in existence- Pye radio ( valves of course! ) communication fills the boot, Winkworth bell, air horns and the police signs with flashing STOP sign on boot lid. Rebuilt by Neil Revington as a personal project in early 2000's

Puts a smile on everyone's face especially in Spain this year

John Mellor