TR3a Advance and retard vacuum take off

Hi on taking my SU carbs off to service them I found the vacuum advance and retard pipe just "hanging loose" behind the front carb, but can't find any vacuum  take off  connecter on either carb or manifold where should it take its feed from ??

Thanks for any help 

Phil

Assuming you have H6 carbs, there should be a threaded boss just in front of the mounting flange on the bottom of the front carb.  If that isn't threaded, perhaps the rear one is. 

crb.jpg.a62fea22b8fcc8b9e36842b6fd4d3791.jpg

If the car has more modern replacement HS6 carbs, the take-off is usually a push on connector on the top of the carb between the cover and the mounting flange. It could be on either carb. 

crb2.thumb.jpg.bcf6ef02b9f463117dad3b4dba7a1e8d.jpg

Edited by RobH

To raise your ´comfort level'.

I've been running my 3A with a 4A cylinder head and HS6 carburettors for some 20 years without a vacuum advance.

When it gave up on me and I just sealed up both ends - no Distributor Doctor in those days - and I don't miss it, although the centrifugal weights in the distributor have been set up accordingly.

james

Edited by james christie

Thanks Rob for the very clear description and photos.

I have H6 carbs and found  the under carb threaded outlet but no adaptor it ! looks like the flexible (windscreen washer tube?) on the end of the metal pipe has just been pushed in to the threaded hole in the past, I will hopefully be able to source the proper adaptor, I have already found "Southern Carburettor's" very helpful.

Thanks also to James for his reply

I expect I'll be back here for more advice as time goes on.

Brilliant forum, thanks again.

Phil

There isn't really an adaptor Phil. The correct copper pipe has the fitting and olive on it - its usually part number 33 here, but that will depend on how it connects to your distributor:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/electrical-system/ignition-system/ignition-system-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

It looks as though you can buy the fitting and olive though to fit your existing pipe if it is the right size - parts 32 and 30.

Edited by RobH