Girling Front Brake Caliper Internal Seal

Hi All, I have stripped down the front caliper on my TR3A and I know what the MOSS catalogue states, but has anyone ever replaced or found an alternative seal? in the photo I took the seal looks either deformed (it is 60 years old) or is a special. Hope you guys can help.

Regards

Nigel

20220626_163007.jpg

20220626_162935.jpg

Hi Nigel,

I don`t know what the top picture is showing, but the bottom picture could be the outer dust seal from a 3a caliper.  The seal kit that I got was marked Ford Cortina Mk1 if that helps you.

Ralph

I think its the little rubber “O” ring that seals the fluid passage way between the two halves of the caliper.

I have posted on this before when I did my sp250 brakes with Daimler workshop manual pictures of the torque figures  for the 4 bolts. 

I would try the caliper refurb companies for a couple of the o rings. 
like these guys near me that quite a few car resto companies use. 
http://www.classicarautomotive.co.uk

Hi Nigel,

I tried all over for replacements for this seal when I did my front callipers years ago.  I was unsuccesful so I reused the originals which fortunately were in good condition.  There is an MG which uses a very similar split calliper design but the internal seal is an O ring, not a flat rubber washer.  If you ever do succeed in finding a suitable replacement, please post it on here as I wouldn't mind having a spare just in case.

I have heard that it is possible to fit the O ring in place of the flat washer but you need to make sure it stays in place whilst the two halves are being bolted up because it is slightly oversize.

Alternatively buy a sheet of 1.5mm thick EPDM and cut your own.

Rgds Ian

Edited by Ian Vincent

MOSS  appear to sell them for Healy 3000 and e-type but it may be the same part ? - part number 583-820:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?o=583-820.&q=583-820&search_group=

Edited by RobH
2 hours ago, RobH said:

MOSS  appear to sell them for Healy 3000 and e-type but it may be the same part ? - part number 583-820:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?o=583-820.&q=583-820&search_group=

I don't think this is the one that Nigel is looking for.  The one he wants is a flat rubber washer approx 13.5mm od, 4mm id and about 1.2mm thick.  The Healey / e-type part is an O ring and is about 15mm od which means it has to be squeezed into the recess in the calliper and can easily pop out.

Rgds Ian

Just realised I have the early solid calipers which have a link pipe, and the later (correct) calipers don`t have this pipe. I have a pair of the later  B type calipers so it looks like I should be overhauling them for fitment to my 3a.

Whilst on the subject, are the later ( type 16 I think) calipers significantly lighter?, I have the correct mounting brackets for them and thought there might be a worthwhile reduction in un sprung weight rather than using the heavy early type.

Ralph

Edited by Ralph Whitaker
3 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Just realised I have the early solid calipers and the later (correct) calipers don`t have this pipe. I have a pair of the later calipers so it looks like I should be overhauling them for fitment to my 3a.

Whilst on the subject, are the later ( type 16 I think) calipers significantly lighter?, I have the correct mounting brackets for them and thought there might be a worthwhile reduction in un sprung weight rather than using the heavy early type.

Ralph

Ralph,

The correct calliper for a later 3a is the Type B; these are the ones that use the flat rubber washer as a seal between the two halves and it is this seal that appears to be unobtainable, (if you go onto the Moss site you will notice that they don't offer it as a part).  So if you are planning to refurbish them yourself be ready to remove and preserve the existing seal (assuming it isn't 'shot').  Alternatively, if you get them refurbished by one of the recommended firms, I'd be interested to know how they deal with the problem? Do they have a secret source of these little items?

Rgds Ian

FWIW here is a link to the relevant Moss catalogue page.

Type B Calliper for TR3a

Ralph If your looking for a pair of "B" Type calipers I have a pair eminently suitable for reconditioning.

Stuart

Going back to my earlier post and reading it again I realise that after I edited it, it didn`t make sense, so I have now edited it again.

I was originally referring to the fact that the early un split calipers that I have fitted do not have this seal as the external pipe links the 2 halves as we all know, but had forgotten that the later B type would have the seal in question. 

When I re built the car I had already overhauled and painted the early type A calipers, which came with the car, before I found a set of the type B. 

I ought to re build the type B and fit them to be correct for my car , not that originality bothers me that much, which is why I raised the question as to whether the later type 16 as used on later TRs has a significant weight advantage.

The old type A and B are weighty old lumps of iron and the type 16s look to be considerably lighter, as well as being much easier and cheaper to buy.  I already have a pair of the correct mounting brackets for the later type, and a pair of like new powder coated dust shields.  The slightly smaller diameter discs are easy enough to buy, and in the interest of saving un sprung weight on our pot holed roads thought this might be a worthwhile up grade.

Ralph