Tips for Removing plug number 4?

How do you access this plug for removal? 

The dizzy and vacuum advance are obstructing the path.... Do I need to be turning the dizzy to allow access? 

Cheers 

Conrad 

16562489808362003601100829219754.jpg

Hi Conradski

You need a Laser tools wobble bar extension set part no 2580

Harvey

I usually undo the bolt holding the distributor and clamp and lift it out of the way, that way its still in the same place when you refit it. 

Gareth

Not related, but if your rotor has a rivet, these are known to fail prematurely. The red ones stamped “DD” are better.

The Distributor Doctor sells these.

Waldi

7 hours ago, Conradski said:

How do you access this plug for removal? 

The dizzy and vacuum advance are obstructing the path.... Do I need to be turning the dizzy to allow access? 

Cheers 

Conrad 

16562489808362003601100829219754.jpg

Your dizzy is fitted incorrect rotate anticlockwise and move the leads one place clockwise and that will place the rev counter cable in the right place also 

Ah that would explain it, thanks.  I did wonder that when looking in an old Haynes manual.  If I rotate anti-clock, through 180 degrees, I'll also have to rotate the engine through 180 too, otherwise the timing will be 180 degrees out will it not?

5 hours ago, HSM said:

Hi Conradski

You need a Laser tools wobble bar extension set part no 2580

Harvey

thanks.

7 minutes ago, Conradski said:

Ah that would explain it, thanks.  I did wonder that when looking in an old Haynes manual.  If I rotate anti-clock, through 180 degrees, I'll also have to rotate the engine through 180 too, otherwise the timing will be 180 degrees out will it not?

I did not say 180 just enough to move the lead’s one place clockwise the vacuum should be inline with the engine if not the dog drive is not timed correctly 

9 hours ago, Conradski said:

What you probably had in your old Haynes manual was a photo of an American spec car which is fitted with an advance retard unit, which points to the rear of the car. As Ntc has said rotate your distributor 60° anti clockwise and then move the HT leads one place clockwise.

George