Tips for Removing plug number 4?

More help needed please - How do you access this plug for removal? 

The dizzy and vacuum advance are obstructing the path.... Do I need to be turning the dizzy to allow access?  My standard big plug 13/16 socket won't fit in that space.

Cheers 

Conrad 

16562483419655687198033490486516.jpg

Edited by Conradski
better explanation

Someone has installed the dizzy at the wrong angle. The tacho cable should be pointing towards the bulkhead, not the wheelarch.

Check the workshop manual on how to install the dizzy and you should be able to correct it.

Jerry

Goto TDC on the firing stroke (both valves closed)

Remove all the plug leads from the dizzy cap.

Turn the dizzy as described above.

Note which plug the rotor is pointing to.

Install No.1 lead on that terminal, and the others in firing order.  NB! Dizzy goes clockwise!

Micro adjust the ignition timing, either statically (workshop manual) or dynamically with a strobe light.

Voila!   Good luck!

John

Quick question. My dizzy is the same angle as above. Apart from No 4 plug access, does it make a difference to the running of the car?. I thought I read a comment on this thread that said the dizzy dog drive will not be engaged correctly but that comment seems to have disappeared.

Alan

No it makes no difference to running Alan. Neither does it mean the drive is not properly engaged - all that has happened is the dizzy drive cog has been mated one tooth out, with the gear on the cam. Everything works as it should, but 30 degrees off.