Cylinder Head tightening tool

Hi guys,

I need to recheck my TR4A cylinder head torque after engine rebuild.  Rather than remove the rocker shaft etc to access the nuts under the shaft, I'm sure I have seen a short flat adaptor spanner that will pass under the shaft and drop over the head nuts, 5/8unf one end and 1/2 inch square on the other to take the torque wrench.

I know it's not that much trouble to remove the Rocker shaft and i would need to recheck the tappet clearances after re torque,  but wondering if anyone knows of such a spanner, or have I imagined it!

Rich

OK I will have a look. Should have said 3/4 AF X 1/2inch square, not 5/8unf!!

Rich

Obstruction wrench 

Not sure the open end will stand up to the intended torque. 
Does not take long to remove the 4 nuts that hold the rocker shaft and you will have to check the tappets after torquing the head any way.

9C882CBA-B4D4-41D4-B069-CDB18C7E8019.jpeg

Mechanic and engineers tool preference order.

Single hex socket driving on the flats.

Double hex socket driving on the corners.

Ring spanner driving on the corners.

Open ended spanner driving on the corners.

Obstruction wrench…Some hopeless piece of **** only used by plumbers….Lol.

C’mon Rich, would you really use even an open ended spanner when you are putting 105 lb ft through it ? You can see the jaws spreading as the torque is applied !

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
42 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Mechanic and engineers tool preference order.

Single helix socket driving on the flats.

Double helix socket driving on the corners.

Mick Richards

I think you must mean ‘Hex’ or bi-Hexagonal socket Mick as opposed to Helix which normally refers to the twist as in a twist drill bit for instance, often being fast or slow helix?

Kevin

27 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

I think you must mean ‘Hex’ or bi-Hexagonal socket Mick as opposed to Helix which normally refers to the twist as in a twist drill bit for instance, often being fast or slow helix?

Kevin

Thanks for the correction Kevin, yes Hex sockets. I’ve corrected my post.

regards Mick

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I made this spanner/socket to remove and torque up the head nuts on a Ginetta G15/ Hillman Imp. It avoided disturbing the overhead camshaft. I made it out of an old socket and a ring spanner.

Cheers

Richard

DSCN3148.JPG

Clever, but I cannot imagine that the head nuts on a Hillman Imp, which has an alloy head, required the 105 lb.ft of torque which we have to apply to the good old TR 4 pot.

I have a feeling that a variant of this clever tool might not cope on a TR.

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, HSM said:

Your Hillman Imp spanner is the same as the Churchill tool supplied to the agents

Harvey

As per Harvey’s post this looks like the pukka tool for the Imp. Interesting one.

https://www.hillmanimp.org/forum/workshop/s-special-tools/4236-rg-355-cylinder-head-bolt-wrench-access-cylinder-head-bolts-remove-not-cam-carrier