Puzzling horn problem.

Here's an odd one, if anyone can help me resolve the puzzle I would be grateful.

I had my head under the bonnet the other day and I heard a slight 'beep' from the horn.  I thought that I must of touched a wire that shorted the horn, causing the beep so I started to investigate by moving wires around.  I couldn't recreate the 'beep' so carried on with what I was doing.  After a couple more minutes it beeped again, it was a little like the sound a fire alarm makes when the batteries are running down.  Again I tried to find the source of noise but no luck.  Another couple of minutes and it beeped again, so I started to look more closely at the horns.  For as long as I can remember (30 years+) one of the horns hasn't worked so I focussed my attention on the working one, but still couldn't recreate the sound, then the other horn beeped!  I removed the non-working horn and could not get a sound out if on the bench. I have ordered a replacement (about time too) but would be interested if anyone can provide an insight into how this phenomenon occurred. 

Normally something is shorting out to cause that, have you removed steering wheel recently? Might be a clearance issue there or the column itself. Could be a tricky thing to find if it's intermittent. 

Gareth

Spooky! The horns are (or should be) connected in parallel so if its an electrical short both should sound together.  It takes a fair bit of current to make them sound - and they really only do 'loud'. 

Silly question maybe  but is there an insect or something which has crawled inside and might have rattled the diaphragm?

Hi all,  that's another part of the puzzle, I wasn't anywhere near the steering column, I was changing the points at the time, so haven't disturbed anything there.  The insect in the horn is a thought, we do get all sorts of insects out here, who enjoy finding places to lay there offspring. The strange thing was that it beeped at regular-ish intervals.  I timed them at 1' 45", 2', 2' 15" (and then got bored and removed the horn).  So it could suggest something making a nest, we do get some wasps who do make regular buzzing noises when making their nest, so could be one of those.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, just thought I'd give you an update, I am sure you've been waiting to find out what happened next.

So I ordered a new horn and after fitting went for a test drive (you've got to ensure these things work on the open road). On my return I went about doing some stuff under the bonnet and the noise was back again!  And then it dawned on me, it wasn't the horn at all, but the radiator cap cooling down and f**ting!  

Oh well, you're never to old to learn something new.

Your kidding, wow I'm glad you discovered it or you'd be chasing the problem forever!

Gareth