Exhaust Recommendations please

Evening, 

My 6 just past its Mot, hooray for a bit of peace of mind, as the man who tests it is a classics expert. 

Anyway, it has at least one exhaust leak. I'd like to keep the wheelbarrow style twin pipes. 

Is it possible to upgrade the manifold and down pipe and retain the twin silencers and pipes? 

What upgrades have folks tried in that configuration? 

I have had a short look at the usual suspects website but not found anything yet. 

Cheers

Edited by Conradski
Typo

Hope you get a real world reply on this 

perhaps ask the bespoke retailers that do hands on work. 
TRE, revington, etc they have probably done a version of this and know what fits  

or get a 4 pot and a sports exhaust ;)

I am guessing you have a stainless system, in which case most manufacturers make a sports manifold for the 6 and down pipes also.

It may be worth checking the OD of existing pipe you intend to connect to.

As Hamish said talk to the people that do the work TRE.  Revington , TRGB etc they will most likely have the answer . Sorry I can't  be more definite but still have the standard system on mine

Brian

Have you tried Peco in Birkenhead ? They’ve been around since I was razzing around in my Fulvias and should be able to help. They’re local as well, so you can pop round.

Thanks, I did not know Peco were local to me on the Wirral. I'll certainly ask them. TRE and Revington, too Thanks Hamish, hope you go well at Aintree today. I have pulled out last minute. 

Call Phoenix exhausts. They make stainless manifold and systems for the TR6.

They make the “wheel barrow” style exhaust as well as original style and original big bore style also a performance manifold.

https://www.phoenixexhausts.com/

most of the shops sell these exhausts. Quite expensive but excellent quality.

they make adaptors for the systems.

I’ve got the manifold and big bore original style system. Had this on the car for over 10 years now.

Steve 

steve

Edited by whatmore179

I would also suggest Phoenix. Their 6-3-1 manifold fits and seems to give a bit of a boost to mid-range torque, plus a nice exhaust beat.

Phoenix were helpful in supplying the bits needed to link up all the pipes on my TR6. That was 15 years ago and I'm still pleased with their manifold.

Nigel 

Conradski

Please be aware that a stainless 6 branch manifold will offer very little performance increase over the standard manifold.

It will however increase under bonnet temperature which will cook the standard type starter motor, once cooked you will have to remove the throttle bodies and the nice new 6 branch manifold again because the  starter motor will not come out with it in place. Fuel vaporisation will also become more of an issue but not so much with an injection car.

On the plus side stainless manifolds are shiny and have some bragging rights B)

Spend your hard earned on petrol an enjoy the car!

George 

Having tried the regular exhaust systems on my 6 including the twin silencer system I would not waste time on finding a link for a sports manifold to this system. Pretty sure the likes of Phoenix supply the link pipes.

The  best IMHO is a 6 to 3 to one manifold and a single exhaust. The volume being determined bt the silencer you opt for. 

My car came with a tubular stainless manifold. I’m thinking of the best way to reduce heat to the throttle bodies and also starter. I don’t want to wrap the manifold as this can cause issues, but thinking of a heat shield of some sort. I’ve read up a bit ne you can get one for the carb cars, but not injected.

Is this because the PI throttle bodies don’t soak up the heat as much as carbs ?

My throttle linkage is the underslung type as well, so potentially getting expansion of the metal and associated issues with fuel delivery.

Am I being unnecessarily cautious ?

These replies are all very helpful, thanks everyone.  I will talk to some of the usual suppliers as recommended,  especially the guys at TR Bitz.

I may leave it until the Autumn as I cured an exhaust leak today and the 6 is running miles better, ..... and less fumigation in the cockpit too.

11 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

My car came with a tubular stainless manifold. I’m thinking of the best way to reduce heat to the throttle bodies and also starter. I don’t want to wrap the manifold as this can cause issues, but thinking of a heat shield of some sort. I’ve read up a bit ne you can get one for the carb cars, but not injected.

Is this because the PI throttle bodies don’t soak up the heat as much as carbs ?

My throttle linkage is the underslung type as well, so potentially getting expansion of the metal and associated issues with fuel delivery.

Am I being unnecessarily cautious ?

Jonny

Fuel vaporisation is not such an issue with injection as there is no reservoir of fuel  in the throttle bodies and the fuel is under much higher pressure then with carbs.

My car has carburettors and I tried all sorts to prevent vaporisation to no avail, in the end I sold the Phoenix manifold and reinstalled the cast iron standard manifold which cured the problem.

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

Jonny

Fuel vaporisation is not such an issue with injection as there is no reservoir of fuel  in the throttle bodies and the fuel is under much higher pressure then with carbs.

My car has carburettors and I tried all sorts to prevent vaporisation to no avail, in the end I sold the Phoenix manifold and reinstalled the cast iron standard manifold which cured the problem.

George 

That’s great info - many thanks George.

Might knock up a heat shield for the starter though.

5 hours ago, harlequin said:

Jonny

George 

I've got carbs with the Phoenix manifold and don't have these problems?

But I do have 2 air ducts blowing over the carbs from in front of the rad.

My TR6 is my daily car, it is also used for touring so is subject to the occasional heavy traffic and Southern European weather. What finally made me make the change was getting stuck in a jam in the Eastend of London quing for the Blackwall Tunnel during a heatwave. My broken down car caused absolute chaos, I learnt lots of new words that day:huh:

George