I am a relatively new owner and have a couple of questions. No doubt the answer is obvious to most but not to me:

1: I have a surrey top with a soft canopy. After exhausting every possible logical way of fitting it, I read a Forum which in effect said I had it on back to front. I.e the clamp bar and bolts go on the back. It's now fitted but all that is holding the front is two press studs. Is that right? It fits but doubt it'd stay on at speed.

2: I bought an electric fan. Perceived wisdom was that "suckers" were better. I got someone who restores old cars to fit it. He wanted to fit it on the front, and reverse the motor, i.e make it a blower. Against my better judgement I agreed. It now runs hotter than it did without the fan unless in traffic. The problem is that although he reversed the motor I think the fan blades are not at the correct pitch. It's a Revotec? Is that right? If so I guess i'll have to take it off and refit it myself.

Thanks

If the fan was designed as a 'sucker' the fan blades will be optimised for that - usually the blades are convex.  It won't work very well as a 'blower' because the curve will be in the wrong direction.  

The fan will obstruct the airflow somewhat when not running, which might explain why the car runs hotter but that would imply the cooling is a bit marginal as it shouldn't be noticeable except perhaps in very hot weather.  Is the radiator in good condition and free of silt ? Why did you fit the fan in the first place?  

Chris last year I bought a Revotec blower fan therefore fitted in front of radiator as that is the set up I required as I am leaving the standard fan to perform as normal. I will only use the blower fan when and as necessary, ie coming to a halt on the motorway etc. I have noticed no difference whatsoever in normal running cooling temps since I fitted this blower fan. As stated above I would fully flush the rad out first and then if no better replace the rad.

Then sell the fan and buy a blower unit.

Alan G

33 minutes ago, cp25616 said:

Chris last year I bought a Revotec blower fan therefore fitted in front of radiator as that is the set up I required as I am leaving the standard fan to perform as normal. I will only use the blower fan when and as necessary, ie coming to a halt on the motorway etc. I have noticed no difference whatsoever in normal running cooling temps since I fitted this blower fan. As stated above I would fully flush the rad out first and then if no better replace the rad.

Then sell the fan and buy a blower unit.

Alan G

+1

I have a standard original fan with a reconditioned radiator and a revotec blower, coolant is the usual 50/50 mix. The temperature stays firmly on normal with no use needed so far for the electric fan.

Original fitment  for the Surrey top is as Roger says, 2 studs and the front edge of the Surrey top tucked under the header rail, although a number of people including myself have changed the front fitting to that of the full soft top. There are some quite extensive threads on this if you Google “tr register Surrey top front header fitment”

Good luck

Tim

Chris, the soft top should have a stiffer “flap” at the front. This should tuck under the edge of the aluminium capping on top of the screen frame which should have an extended lip for that purpose. P/No 806189. That capping is different to the one that is fitted for the more usual full convertible hood. The 2 press studs just stop the corners lifting. 
There should also be a short elasticated strap inside with a female press stud on the end at each front corner which mates with a male stud on the top of the screen frame uprights. This is meant to stop the flaps lifting on each side at the top of the door glass 
Hope that makes sense. 
Enjoy the 5 and welcome to the Register Forum. 
Dave McD