This method has worked for me on both Triumphs and MG’s.

Put gearbox into neutral, start engine, let it run for half an hour. Turn off engine and let it cool. Start engine and carefully try to engage gear, if not successful repeat the start, run and cool process.

Graham 

The clutch on my Vitesse regularly sticks when not used for a period of time and I have found that if I start the engine and let the car  heat up to working temperature, then holding the clutch pedal down I give the car several good revs as smartly as possible from idle it comes free. Also it has worked in the past by putting the car in gear, handbrake on, then holding the clutch pedal down, briefly operate the starter and this sometimes shocks the plate free. Literally though just flick the starter as it is the impact of the bendix hitting the flywheel that shocks the plate free.

Ralph

Ive always released stuck clutches by jacking up one rear wheel, starting the car in gear with the clutch fully depressed then dabbing on the brakes a couple of times till the clutch comes unstuck

• 6 months later...

Same issue when i bought a TR5 as a 20yr old. My mate still owns the car.

I got him to tow me to the top of a fairly steep and long hill and unhooked the tow rope.

I warmed the engine, and switched it off. and when the road was clear;

I selected 2nd gear and depressed clutch and held it down throughout the procedure (until I was successful).

I started engine on the key and set off down the hill with the clutch still depressed.

I accelerated till the engine at 3000-4000rpm and 'HIT THE BRAKES'

The inertia from the engine will overcome the adhesion of the friction material to the flywheel/pressure plate.

Mine took two or three brake checks on one run, which took no more than 30 seconds.

The clutch is designed for these kind of loads.

On 6/24/2022 at 9:05 AM, tim hunt said:

Believe it or not John the attached simple and mechanically sympathetic procedure has worked successfully for me.

Tim

How to free a seized clutch simply.docx 9.56 kB · 42 downloads

My 4a clutch regularly seizes during periods of storage in a garage. I've developed a routine of once a month cranking the engine on  the starter motor with the car in gear and the clutch pedal depressed. This simple routine spins the clutch plate to a new position where it then sits for another month. No need to run the engine.

However, last month the clutch was well and truly seized. I tried all the usual tricks of jacking the car up and starting it in gear, then jabbing the brakes with the clutch held down. All to no avail. Then I tried the technique described above; I ran the engine for 30 minutes to warm things through, removed the plugs, then wedged the clutch and brake pedals down with suitable lengths of timber wedged against the seat runners (a great wife substitute and it doesn'tcomplain!). By rocking the crankshaft pulley nut with a socket on a long socket wrench the clutch sprung free after about 20 good tugs. A very gentle way to free the clutch.

I am very glad this 'hack' worked for you. I came up with the technique years ago by dint of a bit of lateral thinking and strangely have never seen it promulgated anywhere.

Tim