Hi all, not sure why, but one of my chrome boot hinges has broken in half,  but anyway just received a shiny new pair(I didn't realise they were handed)

for an eyewatering amount so want to be care full with them.

Now my question is, how do I know which  hinge fits to which side, they have a hinge pin with a smooth side and a side where the pin is visible my current ones has the exposed part of the pin pointing outwards.

Advice greatly appreciated Cheers Lee

If you look at them they are handed in as much as the base is angled, looking from the rear the left one has the angle so the longer side is to the outside of the car and the right side is the reverse. Its so they sit vertical when fitted as the panels curve down on each side.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Best way I found when selling these is as Stuart says they slope to the outside of the car.  I would open the hinge and look at the bigger bit that fits to the boot lid. The slope. Is then quite obvious 

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
22 hours ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi all, not sure why, but one of my chrome boot hinges has broken in half,  but anyway just received a shiny new pair(I didn't realise they were handed)

for an eyewatering amount so want to be care full with them.

Now my question is, how do I know which  hinge fits to which side, they have a hinge pin with a smooth side and a side where the pin is visible my current ones has the exposed part of the pin pointing outwards.

Advice greatly appreciated Cheers Lee

Tht's interesting Lee. I also have boot hinges with pins insereted from one side with a blind hole on the other, however on my car the exposed heads of the pins point inboard,  towards each other and yet the hinges still follow 'Stuart's Law' as stated.

Just a small point - it's worth checking the security of the hinge pins from time to time. It is known for a pin to work loose and even escape. I've been there!

Tim  

Edited by tim hunt

Thanks Tim,  all interesting stuff I think my hinge that broke was in fact on the wrong side. When I took the boot lid off I also found that the tubular support

was loose which didn't help matters all fixed now with lock nuts on every thing.

Cheers Lee