Hub Studs.

Having removed one of the rear hubs someone has been a bit over zealous and stripped a couple of threads..glued back in !

I see Helicoils can be used , but not sure of the size, thread etc, also looked at Classic Driving Developments who have a option using larger studs and jigs to make the drilling and tapping easier. Which sound a good idea as I've not done this before and it is going to be done in situ.

Are there any other options worth considering.

Thanks Phil

Crikey, there is a novel on this in the search function !

click on any of the 4a/5/6 forums and type in “trailing arm studs” or “hubs” ( because the studs are prevalent there), and all the options are available to you. I could do it for you but…” teach a man to fish”.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Hi Phil,

there are two standard repairs.

1 - fit 5/16"UNF Helicoils and standard 5/16 x 5/16 studs

The originals lasted 40+ years. These will do 50+years.

2 - Using the CDD studs (3/8 x 5/16) and cutting a 3/8 UNF thread (no helicoil needed)

My preference is option 1 above as it keeps it standard but is stronger than standard.

Option 2 actually drills a fractionally smaller hole to tap the 3/8 UNF and so leaves a tiny amount more metal out the back.

If you go for  option 1 then you may borrow my drilling alignment tool.

Roger

6 minutes ago, Phil H 4 said:

Thanks

Had tried rear hub studs and variations of but so many non-related articals I thought id go to the horses mouth !

In my view Classic Car Developments is the way to go, but make sure that you use their jig to center the holes correctly. You cannot do a proper job unless you use a jig. I have seen examples of where people have gone off center not using a jig and broken through the side wall of the hole?

Bruce.

18 minutes ago, Phil H 4 said:

Thanks

Had tried rear hub studs and variations of but so many non-related articals I thought id go to the horses mouth !

Its often better to just use Google!

Thanks all.

Roger I like the look of the CDD system with the jigs as I'm concerned about the alignment as Bruce points out.

However I presently only have 3 studs to deal with and if I go the CDD route I would be looking at doing all 12 studs for uniformity.

Prior to upgrading components in this area when finances allow, I'd like to get back on the road whilst the sun is still shining.

I'd be very interested in looking at / borrowing your alignment tool to see if I feel confident using it.

If you could please PM me to see when it would be convenient to pop over.

Many thank Phil

1 hour ago, Phil M said:

CCD is the way to go, made it so easy and 100% alignment, the photo shows the jig

F3552E33-0907-4E43-99D8-8F2999044F1E_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.4ff555709b54efa609a259854faa7ce4.jpeg

+1

I've just fitted the CDD stepped studs using Alasdair's kit of drill, jigs and taps. It's a fairly straightforward job. Recommended!

Nigel

Uses a drill guide from patton machine in the states and fitted helicoils. Worked very well. 

Suspect stepped studs or helicoils both work adequately for the application. 

Tim

I used a home-made drill guide (big block of wood) and fitted 5/16" Helicoils. No problem at all. But that was before I read here that things could go badly wrong. Of course then my TR6 was worth about £3k. If I did it again I would do the same but probably have to find a new trailing arm. Didn't Einstein have something to say about that?  Something about having information changing the outcome? I hate that. Ignorance for me every time :P

JC (a little tongue in cheek)

So an update .

Whilst the CDD kits looks the business I decided that as only 3 studs needed to be replaced I would use Helicoil and with the generosity of Roger using this alignment tool it all went very smoothly.

Thanks to Roger and all who took the time to reply to my question.

Phil

IMG_9155.jpg

IMG_9151.jpg

IMG_9153.jpg

Good job done!