Steve, Fuel Smell on Dipstick?

Hi my name is Steve Im new to this so some sound advice would be greatly appreciated, I have a 1967 TR4a and have just checked the oil level and have got a whiff of petrol from the dipstick,should I be concerned? Oil pressure is strong and runs ok, thanks 

Hi  I have a Tr4a and have just checked the oil on the dipstick and i am getting a whiff of petrol, the oil pressure is strong and the car runs well, should I be worried? Your comments would be greatly appreciated. Steve  

Good Morning Steve, and a very warm welcome to our forum.

Firstly I have taken the opportunity to enhance the title of your post, to better describe your question, hopefully to get you more responses

and to aid future forum members with similar enquiries, I hope this is OK?

Secondly, I run a TR4, and the odd whiff of petrol on the dipstick has never caused me any concern or problems, I wouldn't worry.

John.

• John Morrison changed the title to Steve, Fuel Smell on Dipstick?

+1,  use of choke for starting tends to flood cylinders, and a little finds its way past rings to sump. When the oil gets hot most of this tends to evapourate away. Don`t worry about it.

Ralph

aaaarrrrggghhhhh   OMG

only joking. 

A number of places for fuel to get at the oil.   It should evaporate off  when the engines warms up.

'If' it gets excessive you could check the diaphragm in  the mechanical fuel pump.

What is the general condition of the engine

Roger