Clutch Not Engaging

I have a 67 TR4A. It has been a very very very long restoration project. I recently started it up, but when depressing the clutch, it wouldn't go in gear. With the coil wire off, I turned over the engine while in gear, and it would lurch forward. The slave is correctly adjusted and there is plenty of movement. Any ideas on what could be the issue? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to our forum.

How long is very long, in other words how long has the clutch plate been on the flywheel?

I would suspect thats your issue, and needs freeing off, lots of old ideas about how to do this,

I'll start another therad asking for the best.

John.

• 6 months later...

Did you resolve this?. . . .

I had the same issue when i bought a TR5 as a 20yr old. My mate still owns the car.

I got him to tow me to the top of a fairly steep and long hill and unhooked the tow rope.

I warmed the engine, and switched it off. and when the road was clear;

I selected 2nd gear and depressed clutch and held it down throughout the procedure (until I was successful).

I started engine on the key and set off down the hill with the clutch still depressed.

I accelerated till the engine at 3000-4000rpm and 'HIT THE BRAKES'

The inertia from the engine will overcome the adhesion of the friction material to the flywheel/pressure plate.

Mine took two or three brake checks on one run, which took no more than 30 seconds.

The clutch is designed for these kind of loads.