The younger generation and gardens ….

Today , my daughter asked …can you cut my grass ??

Me….why ?

Daughter….we haven’t got a lawnmower 

Me…you have a husband . You’ve been in your new house for 3 months . It has grass ….

Daughter ….please !!!!!!

Wife….do it you lazy git (or words to that effect )

The grass was @ 12” long 

it took me 5 bloody hours to cut ( after strimming first )

Edited by Crawfie
3 hours ago, Crawfie said:

Today , my daughter asked …can you cut my grass ??

Me…you have a husband . You’ve been in your new house for 3 months . It has grass ….

Daughter ….please !!!!!!

Wife….do it you lazy git (or words to that effect 

Love the fact that out of the 4 people involved it’s you that is designated the lazy git :lol:

11 hours ago, Crawfie said:

Today, my daughter asked …can you cut my grass ??

We haven’t got a lawnmower 

it took me 5 bloody hours to cut ( after strimming first )

Crawfie

You actually did it,  spending 5 hours of your time cutting their grass. Next time she says daddy. Sucker I’d have bought the a mower and considered it £30 well spent. 

D9A813C0-100E-40DA-9171-94A3A9F5FD84.png

2 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

5 hours?

How big is the lawn? - Even if it was 12” high, that’s still a long time.  Sounds like they need a sit upon mower  

Rgds Ian

Not big , but overgrown ……badly …..and in yesterdays heat , I had to stop for a certain amount of refreshment breaks !!!
I nicked my son in laws  beer in the fridge  . Pay back !!!

52 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

Not big , but overgrown ……badly …..and in yesterdays heat , I had to stop for a certain amount of refreshment breaks !!!
I nicked my son in laws  beer in the fridge  . Pay back !!!

If you are feeling charitable, come round and cut our absent next door neighbours “ lawn” will you? It’s as high as an Elephants eye again………!!!

111D43FA-4879-439D-A8A5-AD6000E86B40.jpeg

37 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

If you are feeling charitable, come round and cut our absent next door neighbours “ lawn” will you? It’s as high as an Elephants eye again………!!!

How much beer have you got ????

6 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

Sue,

It's called habitat.................insects, voles etc. When they are away in autumn sprinkle wild-flower seeds eg Ox eye daisy, angelica, cow-slip, dandelion etc and other perennials and you'll soon have wild flower meadow to gaze down upon. Miles better for wildlifeand more attractive than a sterile,mowed lawn.

Peter

6 hours ago, Crawfie said:

How much beer have you got ????

As much as you can manage to drink, but we are away at the moment in Wiltshire at a previously cancelled Christmas do.

16 minutes ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Sue,

It's called habitat.................insects, voles etc. When they are away in autumn sprinkle wild-flower seeds eg Ox eye daisy, angelica, cow-slip, dandelion etc and other perennials and you'll soon have wild flower meadow to gaze down upon. Miles better for wildlifeand more attractive than a sterile,mowed lawn.

Peter

That’s a very good idea Prof Pete, the house hasn’t been lived in for about a year and we can’t find anything about the situation there. Last year when it was overgrown like this it actually had lots of Ragwort amongst it.
This year that isn’t present but the Polygamon and stinging nettles are, it took years to get rid of the Ploygamon from our garden when it was allowed to spread to our side many years ago.

I like the wild flower meadow idea, our local Council has also done this on many of the grass verges in our borough and some of the open grassy spaces and they look magnificent.  We have two very close by, I think I will gather some seeds from them. Thanks x

42 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

That’s a very good idea Prof Pete, the house hasn’t been lived in for about a year and we can’t find anything about the situation there. Last year when it was overgrown like this it actually had lots of Ragwort amongst it.
This year that isn’t present but the Polygamon and stinging nettles are, it took years to get rid of the Ploygamon from our garden when it was allowed to spread to our side many years ago.

I like the wild flower meadow idea, our local Council has also done this on many of the grass verges in our borough and some of the open grassy spaces and they look magnificent.  We have two very close by, I think I will gather some seeds from them. Thanks x

Sue, I'll collect seeds from our meadow in August and put them in the post. Nettles are good! -food plant for Red Admirals, Peacock, Tortoishells. Honesty too -for Orange Tips. Yellow rattle seed can be spread now -its an annual that parasitises grasses, much loved by bees.

Ragwort is hated by farmers ( its toxic to horses etc )so I dig it up. But it is a favourite nectar and pollen source for many insects.

Peter

4 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

Sue,

Peter

This is what you should have explained Crawfie…………….. Five hours hard graft and ………. Turns out you ruined / sterilised the meadow?! :rolleyes: