I have just "woken up" my TR3 but have encountered a problem. The brakes locked on and the pedal was solid. I got the car home by cracking a bleed nipple and the car is safely back in the garage but the pedal is again solid having used the brakes. Suspecting a vaccum in the reservoir I removed the cap with no effect and then removed the pipe between reservoir and master cylinder, again with no effect.

Over the winter I have replaced a front n/s caliper and flexible hose and also fitted a new master cylinder. Is one of these items likely to cause the problem. All sughghestions gratefully received.

Dave

Make sure the master cylinder is properly returning to rest, if the pushrod is over adjusted then it wont let brake pressure off, can be only a tiny amount of adjustment that when hot makes all the difference. Do you have a servo fitted and what fluid are you using?

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Stuart, Thanks for responding. I did slack off the pedal stop last evening but have not yet had the time to check if this has improved things. Will check over the weekend and let you know . I feel if that doesn't work then I have a dodgy master cylionder. I will look up the moss invoice in anticipation!

Dave

1 hour ago, davewhitefoot said:

Struart, I forgot to say that no servo if itted and I use DOT4 fluid.

Dave

Has the car always had DOT4?  Or just during your ownership/full hydraulic system renewal 

6 hours ago, davewhitefoot said:

I've had the car about 8 years and have always topped up with DOT 4.Is this incorrect???

Dave

How often are you having to top up the brake fluid?  If you're consuming brake fluid, something else is wrong someplace, IMO.

It was because I had to bleed the brakes reglarly that I fitted the new master cylinder. Immediately after this I noticed that the NS cal;iper was leaking so I replaced this and the hose by which time winter was approaching and I did not use the car again until last week when the new problem surtfaced. I haave now slackened off the pedal stop and bled the brakes because I had removed the pipe between reservoir and master cylinder.

After all that the pedal appears normal, (I have yet to check the free play) and afetr pumping the brakes a number of times the brakes are free and I can push the car. Hopefully therefore I can road test the car and use it to go to Shelsley Walsh next weekend.

Thanks everybody for taking an interest and providing advice.

Dave

I would pull off the rubber cover on the piston so you can see if the piston is indeed coming all the way back and not sticking.

Ralph