Hello, I post this on general as my question could relate to other cars than TR2.

The head on this engine had crud in the corrosion holes shown in the image. Could this have been Hermetal or similar? I would not have thought that was a bodge used on water way corrosion on heads.

Is this damage repairable with welding and resurfacing or should I search out a better low port head? Or even upgrade, but then my inlet manifold would not match I assume.

I have another head which I think was the original but, that is also corroded in the same area.

Regards Ken.

IMG_8952.thumb.jpg.d8a6751964e481d48de8cbb3014d2307.jpg

To me the important thing isn't the (inevitable) surface corrosion which has occurred in the oval waterway gasket void , but rather whether the gasket can seal properly round the edge of the area.  Looks to me that it can as there is a clearly defined transition. 

if the corrosion doesn't extend under the gasket I would ignore it and just use the head. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

To me the important thing isn't the (inevitable) surface corrosion which has occurred in the oval waterway gasket void , but rather whether the gasket can seal properly round the edge of the area.  Looks to me that it can as there is a clearly defined transition. 

if the corrosion doesn't extend under the gasket I would ignore it and just use the head. 

+1, its also quite common for a crack to appear between the two coolant holes

Edited by Kiwifrog
19 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

its also quite common for a crack to appear between the two coolant holes

I’m amazed there isn’t one already!

To raise your comfort level - this looks new compared to the cylinder head on my 3A - with very little pitting. I’ve used a 2mm copper head gasket which seems to hold it all together and air,water and oil tight.

james

Thank you all, interesting that the consensus is; if the gasket seals just use it. 
Maybe that crud I dug out was indeed “ Hermetal” or some other goo. 
I will of course look very closely for cracks. 
Thanks for the reply’s. 
ken. 

As I will be rebuilding the engine when the time comes, ( too many things on my list before that) is welding and resurfacing of the head something that is usually done?

I wouldn't want to be driving around with the nagging thought that the gasket would fail after a rebuild if I'd left the head as is.

I don't know any engine rebuilders to ask.

Ken.

I think you are worrying about nothing Ken.  It's only a bit of surface corrosion in a waterway and that isn't going to cause a head gasket failure.  Even the heads which have a crack between the two holes are usually still perfectly usable. 

Welding a cast-iron head is not something to be undertaken lightly. It needs special techniques and is all too easy to get wrong and cause worse damage than was there originally. It's really something done only as a last resort. 

3 hours ago, RobH said:

I think you are worrying about nothing Ken.  It's only a bit of surface corrosion in a waterway and that isn't going to cause a head gasket failure.  Even the heads which have a crack between the two holes are usually still perfectly usable. 

Welding a cast-iron head is not something to be undertaken lightly. It needs special techniques and is all too easy to get wrong and cause worse damage than was there originally. It's really something done only as a last resort. 

Thank you Rob, I will take your advice as you seem to have experience of TR2 heads.

The image probably makes the corrosion look less deep than it is but, you have convinced me.

Kind Regards Ken.

Also as Bob suggests; a light skim.  Many thanks.

Welding heads isn't simple.

Alloy heads can often be built up with TIG weld (not uncommon on TR7 and Stag heads) and machined back.

Cast iron is a different kettle of fish so it's a good thing yours isn't significant!

14 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Welding heads isn't simple.

Alloy heads can often be built up with TIG weld (not uncommon on TR7 and Stag heads) and machined back.

Cast iron is a different kettle of fish so it's a good thing yours isn't significant!

Thank you Andy. 
This forum doesn’t have a “thank you”

icon like some, ie the RSSC forum. 

I guess it’s what the particular platform used incorporates. 

Ken