My TR4 has had a spongy flat seal fitted. However keeping it fitted has been a nightmare.It will not stay in place

I've used double sided tape, Silicone RTV but no joy.

So, today the 268A boot seal arrived from Woolies.

It fits a TReat  BUT the lid does not shut.

At the back of the lid just where it starts to curve downward it sits something like 1/2 proud.

How have others made it fits.

Or could the flange be too tall that the seal sits on

HELP!!!

Roger

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

My TR4 has had a spongy flat seal fitted. However keeping it fitted has been a nightmare.It will not stay in place

I've used double sided tape, Silicone RTV but no joy.

So, today the 268A boot seal arrived from Woolies.

It fits a TReat  BUT the lid does not shut.

At the back of the lid just where it starts to curve downward it sits something like 1/2 proud.

How have others made it fits.

Or could the flange be too tall that the seal sits on

HELP!!!

Roger

Hi Roger, I have the same problem with that seal, I can get the boot lid shut by leaning on it, but it's pretty tight. I'm hoping that it will settle down eventually 

David 

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

Hi Kevin,

the DX87N looks a little shallower.  I'll give it a try.

https://phoenixtrim.co.uk/02-draught-excluder-br-self-grip-br-dx-87-n-br-price-per-metre-423-p.asp

Roger

Hi Roger

Unfortunately the link has expired to the one I used, but I know one of theirs fitted perfectly as it wasn’t quite so tall.

I’ll see if I can also send a picture of the seal I have, but does look similar to the DX87N if not the same.

Kevin

Another one worth a try is from Seals Direct Pt. No. ATMM 1946 ..... it's the Minor 1000 Boot seal, similar in profile to the original Triumph seal but a bit smaller, the advantage of this seal is that it firmly grips the flange and needs no adhesive, and stays in place along the lower edge just above the bumper.

Cheers Rob

8 hours ago, boxofbits said:

Hi Roger

Unfortunately the link has expired to the one I used, but I know one of theirs fitted perfectly as it wasn’t quite so tall.

I’ll see if I can also send a picture of the seal I have, but does look similar to the DX87N if not the same.

Kevin

I’ve attached a couple of photos and I think the one you’ve ordered is okay. Only difference is mine has one small ridge whereas the DX87N has two, but due to its construction and the loop of hollow rubber it compresses to the right shape. For reference the rubber I have is about 3/4” tall.

Regards

Kevin

8CBF9AAA-C361-4F5E-B1B6-985E50D8BE43.jpeg

CEEF6B29-093E-48FD-BDBA-C0F014914A03.jpeg

28EF40FE-BBA1-452F-A74E-82E30CA4C27F.jpeg

56E6AAD2-3E0B-4F8D-B93E-10091CE8B0C1.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

Hi Folks,

I have now sorted my boot seal problem. So if others have issues then here is what I have and played with.

My original seal was a flattish sponge item that came from Revingtons  It fitted well but it would not stay in place for  me. The boot lid alignment was very good.

I then tried the Woolies    268A         HERE      Many people use this but it was too high for my set up.

I then tried the 'Phoenix'  DX-87N.     HERE     This has a smaller rubber tube on top.  It fits very well and stays in place.

There is a smaller one      DX-76         HERE     Kevin (Boxofbits) told me about - should you have problems.

Roger

Hi Roger

Glad you got it sorted. I think the overall height of the DX 76 is 20mm so is the taller one I used, however looks like the DX87N also works at 16mm.

Does the DX87N touch the boot lid when closed?

The Woolies version looks like it’s 22mm so may be just that bit too high.

Regards

Kevin

TBH Im surprised anyone has trouble with the Woolies one as Ive used it successfully for many years.

Stuart.

26 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Stuart,

my TR4A has your Woolies 268A fitted and works well.

Haven't a clue at the moment why one car likes X and another cat likes Y

But it is nice to know there are choices.

Roger

Definitely odd as Ive fitted them to 4.4a.5.6 and Italias.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 10:45 AM, RogerH said:

I then tried the 'Phoenix'  DX-87N.     HERE     This has a smaller rubber tube on top.  It fits very well and stays in place.

Thanks for the heads up on this Roger and fitted the above to a successful conclusion.

Regards Harry

Woolies seal replaced with the Phoenix DX 87N and the boot now locks more easily, comparison attached (Woolies on the left)

Regards

David

phoenix boot seal comparison.JPG