72 clutch solution

+1.

When I bought my TR4 it had a remote servo for the clutch for precisely the reasons you state, The servo was mounted on the nearside bulkhead, with the washer bottle moved, photo attached.

Dave

20200822_174243.jpg

Edited by DaveB66

There are other aspects that can be done too, like a Laycock clutch (expensive), change of cylinder diameter, ensuring all picot points are not worn our and lubricated, but the servo-route is probably the easiest.

Waldi

I have not done it myself (my clutch works “light” too after a careful full rebuild with reconditioned cylinders (Past Parts), new clutch shaft, pins, etc.) but think the servo-solution is easiest (least intrusive) and has been done successfully by others.

Here is a link to an old post:

Cheers and Gruesse,
Waldi

There are readily available cheap aftermarket remote  servo's out there for the TR4/4a brakes which can easily be plumbed into the clutch hydraulics. (literally a couple of pipes) and you can T into the brake sevo vacuum line.

If you don't like it then you can remove it.

eg One like this

Seen the clutch servo done a few times before for the same reason. It works very well and any competent mechanic can install it. A few nuts and bolts and a bit of brake line. And of course there's a perfect location for it tight where the brake servo would be if the car was LHD.

Yes, I would expect so, but maybe someone can share some pics on a TR6.

The pedal needs to press in some kind of Master. Then a connection from the master to the Servo, which has another Master2. Then a connection from Master2 to the slave.

Right?

45 minutes ago, JochemsTR said:

Yes, I would expect so, but maybe someone can share some pics on a TR6.

The pedal needs to press in some kind of Master. Then a connection from the master to the Servo, which has another Master2. Then a connection from Master2 to the slave.

Right?

No its a remote servo so its just inserted into the clutch slave feed pipe. A "T" would then be inserted into the vacuum supply pipe as well.

Like this on a 6

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 624 - Copy.JPG

Edited by stuart

A remote servo is sriggered by the hydraulic pressure (rather than the pedal pressure on the TR6 brakes). The remote servo has a hydraulic cylinder that receives pressure from the clutch pedal being pressed via the pipe that runs across the bulkhead and the diaphragm in the servo puts pressure on the output side.

Effectively can be mounted almost anywhere but usually on a RH drive UK car roughly where the one in Stuarts picture is as it gives the simplest routing for the pipework.

16 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

A remote servo is sriggered by the hydraulic pressure (rather than the pedal pressure on the TR6 brakes). The remote servo has a hydraulic cylinder that receives pressure from the clutch pedal being pressed via the pipe that runs across the bulkhead and the diaphragm in the servo puts pressure on the output side.

sure, this is all unterstood....but the servo contains a type of hydraulich cylinder which carries a piston and seal and the servo itself.....I am just wondering whether here are more parts introduced that can break down.

I reduced my clutch pressure by using a 0.625 inch master cylinder. You need to use an adjustable pedal pushrod and there needs to be low wear on the clutch components and the pedal is a little higher but works great. 

Tim

Tim’s solution is probably the cheapest, so worth a try if budget plays a role but it will reduce the stroke from clutch lever situated at the side of the gear box. So make sure all wear is reduced as Tim says because that wear (play) will further reduce the effective stroke at the gear box clutch lever.

Waldi

17 hours ago, JochemsTR said:

sure, this is all unterstood....but the servo contains a type of hydraulich cylinder which carries a piston and seal and the servo itself.....I am just wondering whether here are more parts introduced that can break down.

In short - yes.

However most modifications that add additional components give extra scope for things going wrong.

Servo's are generally reliable as are brake and clutch hydraulics - if anything fails it is the slave cylinder because of dirt/debris damaging the bore/seals. 

• 3 months later...
9 hours ago, hurlbird said:

Stuart, how important is having the booster at the exact angle dictated by the kit bracket? i am in receipt of the kit i will install for my father in law.

I wouldnt have said it was that critical as Ive seen them mounted all ways over the years.

Heres another position.

Stuart.

photo1350.jpg