Original Steering Wheel Re-furb

John, Renualt Silver Grey is spot on for colour. Image follows showing an NOS wheel on the right and one repainted by me in Renault Silver Grey of the left.

Derek

P1010722.JPG

Edited by saffrontr
typo

I have recently agreed a purchase of an original 1969 early TR6 steering wheel. 

Does anyone have images of the rim leather covering with the stitch pattern please?  This will be for a very early 1969 UK PI car, and as the leather covering for the padded rim is missing ideally I need to get it recovered correctly, even if the rest of the car will let it down!

Thanks in anticipation -

Mark

Mark,

A couple of images follow.The first is of a 69 wheel after it was recovered by the late Gerry Walker from Morecambe and the second is prior to recovering. Hopefully you can see the stitch arrangement which Gerry did a pretty good job of matching  

cheers

Derek 

69 wheel after.jpg

69 wheel before.JPG

Mark, 

Mine was repainted satin black and thats what it appears to be in the original press release photos. Note that the press photo show five holes per spoke however all production cars had four holes per spoke. Both PI and carb cars had the1757582946_69pressphotoresize.thumb.jpg.ed51ccc6fa9153957efd133393472ce7.jpg black spokes.

Derek

Edited by saffrontr
1 hour ago, saffrontr said:

Mark, 

Mine was repainted satin black and thats what it appears to be in the original press release photos. Note that the press photo show five holes per spoke however all production cars had four holes per spoke. Both PI and carb cars had the black spokes.

Derek

I wonder if they reduced to four holes to differentiate these wheels from the Formula wheels supplied with earlier cars which had 5 holes. I have two early TR6 wheels, both came with the paint removed and polished spokes, I have painted the one on the car satin black and will have the other wheel painted when I find someone to restore it.

Ian,

Formula were the manufacturer of the 1969 TR6 steering wheel so that could indeed be the case. A very similar steering wheel to the TR6 appeared on some models of the Riley Kestrel and on the Austin Maxi HL and these had silver spokes and 5 holes. They have a slightly thicker rim and can be adapted to fit the TR6 hub. 

Derek

Not the 1969 steering wheel though Dave, the TR6 1970 to late 1972 wheel was not quite the same as the Spitfire Mk 4 as it had a hard bakelite type finish to the rim whereas the TR6 wheel had a composite type finish to the rim which was more maleable and frankly better.

Alan G

On 6/13/2022 at 6:57 AM, saffrontr said:

John, Renualt Silver Grey is spot on for colour. Image follows showing an NOS wheel on the right and one repainted by me in Renault Silver Grey of the left.

Derek

P1010722.JPG

I must dig mine out and paint the spokes and put it on the car, the rim is in good condition. 

How do I tell if its an earlier wheel, is it the diameter? 

Gareth

1 hour ago, cp25616 said:

Not the 1969 steering wheel though Dave, the TR6 1970 to late 1972 wheel was not quite the same as the Spitfire Mk 4 as it had a hard bakelite type finish to the rim whereas the TR6 wheel had a composite type finish to the rim which was more maleable and frankly better.

Alan G

The spokes on the TR6 if they are sliver are finished in stain chrome which cannot be replicated unless the leather material on the rim is totally removed. Lastly on car SOS they use a craftsman to recover these rims does anyone know who and where he works from?

Bruce.

On 6/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, cp25616 said:

Alan G

Thanks for the correction on the Spit Mk4 Alan. As far as I know the GT6 Mk3 did have the same wheel as the TR6 at some stage during it's production. The difference with the Spit maybe the covering which appears to be leather on the GT6 wheel. This with aging and used has a habit of coming off. 

Dave

On 6/13/2022 at 10:08 AM, richard61 said:

After filling any cracks with a flexible filler I recoloured the rim using a kit from The Scratch Doctor. Missing bits of the rim on the spokes were replaced using an old spectacle case!ABE6B7AF-ED1E-4F60-A417-885E4E0B1901.thumb.jpeg.fd0ba76bf7698d04e209cc3a16d9cbd9.jpegE42C8034-6A97-4351-AEB8-BCF7DFD15085.thumb.jpeg.386eb2c30a0497a25324565908e59d3a.jpeg

Hi Richard, 

I sent you a PM about this, but I've not heard back, so if you read this or someone else knows, was the recolouring kit the type used for leather, as I wasn't sure the moulded rim would absorb the dye.

Thanks

Gareth