Just finished repairs to chassis and whilst I was painting I noticed that there where two plates welded in just behind the body mount tubes, see arrows on picture,

Comparing with the parts book it would seem these plates have been added.

Any idea what the purpose may have been?

As a bit of background the car has been through a body off repair in the past  with much of the underside of body being coated with fibreglass together with fibreglass floors laid under the rotten steel ones. !!

The body is nearly completely repaired now with all fibreglass removed, many panels and much welding.

Chassis.jpg

Edited by R9mey
  • R9mey changed the title to What are these
4 hours ago, R9mey said:

Just finished repairs to chassis and whilst I was painting I noticed that there where two plates welded in just behind the body mount tubes, see arrows on picture,

Comparing with the parts book it would seem these plates have been added.

Any idea what the purpose may have been?

As a bit of background the car has been through a body off repair in the past  with much of the underside of body being coated with fibreglass together with fibreglass floors laid under the rotten steel ones. !!

The body is nearly completely repaired now with all fibreglass removed, many panels and much welding.

Chassis.jpg

Just a part of the standard TR chassis. 

IMG_2344.JPG

Those 2 plates are not there on the earlier chassis.I have 2 with a Z12 plate on the front crossmember which are missing these plus the centre box section gussets and also minus strengthened rear shock absorber brackets.I have a vague recollection that I read they were installed as dirt deflectors for the, also different, earlier jack mountings?

Roger M-E 

Has the chassis had a piece cut out just behind the N/S body mounting on the inside? I have a 3A with a similar plate on the N/S where a piece has been removed from the chassis to accomodate a non standard overdrive, the chassis has been modified to allow the over drive switch to fit.

HI

Thanks for all the replies

so looks as though they are indeed standard issue, the chassis number is "Z24"

Non overdrive model so no hole cut out

Finally reassembly begins

Thanks

IMG_20220613_161343_828.jpg

17 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

Sorry, should have added this.

Roger M-E

DSCN4916.JPG

Z12, a very early chassis. Both my TR2s have the piece in question. Z24 chassis numbers from memory.

On 6/14/2022 at 7:32 PM, roger murray-evans said:

Yes John, both chassis from around Oct/Nov/Dec 1953.The Z24 would seem to have covered the bulk of TR2 production once most of the immediate shortcomings had been adressed! But not I assume, the rear shock absorber brackets.

Roger M-E

The rear shock brackets were strengthened I think with the Z28 chassis.

On 6/13/2022 at 9:34 AM, roger murray-evans said:

Those 2 plates are not there on the earlier chassis.I have 2 with a Z12 plate on the front crossmember which are missing these plus the centre box section gussets and also minus strengthened rear shock absorber brackets.I have a vague recollection that I read they were installed as dirt deflectors for the, also different, earlier jack mountings?

Roger M-E 

Hi Roger have the same but Z29 on the plate

cheers

Steve

chassis plate 2.jpg