Petrol cap TR6

Hi

my PRV refused to come undone, so removed the petrol tank to give me a fighting chance.

That sorted it, however, looking at the petrol cap, it has a hole (threaded) half way down the “shaft”. The hose between cap and tank seems to have been fitted slightly over the boss for the hole, warping the hose a little, although I imagine the circlip still sealed it ok. 

is this the breather? And could it be the cause of the petrol smell in my boot? Does it need anything else attached?

the moss pictures shed no light on it

thanks

John

7A9E9D4F-6AAF-4B19-993E-A1D96C4D03CF.jpeg

Yes it is for breather on NAS cars with carbs.  Whatever you do be sure the tank has a breather either through that vent via a filter that is fed from outside the car/boot, or through a hole pierced in the rubber seal of the fuel cap

12 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Yes it is for breather on NAS cars with carbs.  Whatever you do be sure the tank has a breather either through that vent via a filter that is fed from outside the car/boot, or through a hole pierced in the rubber seal of the fuel cap

Mine is a 73 CR pi. Is it the wrong cap?

The connector hose for that cap would have had a half circle cut out to clear the breather boss.  That way the hose would not have to be eased up over the boss.  Either fit a threaded adapter in the hole with a long vent pipe to the outside world beyond the boot or block it and pierce a vent hole in the cap rubber seal as an original PI would have had.  
 Yes the stink of fuel in the boot is compounded by the vent in the filler neck terminating in the boot area.  

John,

the hose itself can be a source for smell too. I replaced mine with a special filler hose from Revington which cured the smell, almost completely. Highly recommended and not expensive at all.

Waldi

I'm just about to replace the fuel filler hose which I suspect isn't helping the petrol smell in the boot. 

The Brown Book says "use sealant as necessary" when refitting the filler hose. Does anyone bother or are the clips sufficient? 

Waldi - thanks for tip on the Revington product. I've actually bought a hose from Rimmers but just called them and they couldn't tell me if it was E5/E10 compliant or what it was made of other than it's UK made. It looks more like a nitrile than a standard rubber but might go for the Revington hose to be on the safe side. Anything to get rid of the smell in the boot! 

On 6/12/2022 at 4:02 PM, Waldi said:

John,

the hose itself can be a source for smell too. I replaced mine with a special filler hose from Revington which cured the smell, almost completely. Highly recommended and not expensive at all.

Waldi

Ordered from Revington, thanks

Fitted new “vented” cap, and tonight, the 6 kept coming to a halt every 10 minutes or so. 

released the cap, and lots of pressure released. Car ran again, for 10 mins or so, released cap again and ok again. 

the rubber on the new cap has a very small slit in it, like a Stanley blade cut. 

is this enough? Should it have a 2 or 3mm hole in it as I’ve seen suggested using Google? 
should the cap itself have a hole in it, or is a hole in the rubber enough?

thanks

john

That's disappointing to fit the vented cap but finding it doesn't do its job! I'm guessing the slit is just resealing and a physical hole as you suggest would work better. Have you contacted Revington to see what they say? 

Gareth

There should be a 1.5-2 mm hole through the rubber and the plate behind it. There wasn’t.  they offered to send the correct one, but I decided to drill the hole as I need the car on Sunday. 

drilling completed, just need to test the car now. I did run it for 5 minutes, and no “pressure” sound when I released the cap, so should be fine.

John

Edited by johnwill