HGF? Nope, check for cracks

My 2.5l GT6 was running just fine when I noticed steam coming from the exhaust and the temp had shot up, pulled over and awaited recovery. I removed the head, no obvious sign of damage to the head gasket and I'd convinced myself it was a poor quality part. I checked both faces for straightness against a steel rule, all looked well so I reassembled with a new head gasket, filled with oil & water and thought all was ready. I am awaiting a new exhaust manifold so couldn't start the car up, I decided to turn it over on the starter to distribute the oil, water vapour was visible from the no2 piston exhaust valve, on stripping the head again I discovered that the head has a crack. Lesson learnt, if I ever have another seeming HGF I will take a wire brush to all chambers and check before refitting. 

Please wait while image is uploading...

crack.JPG

1 hour ago, iani said:

My 2.5l GT6 was running just fine when I noticed steam coming from the exhaust and the temp had shot up, pulled over and awaited recovery. I removed the head, no obvious sign of damage to the head gasket and I'd convinced myself it was a poor quality part. I checked both faces for straightness against a steel rule, all looked well so I reassembled with a new head gasket, filled with oil & water and thought all was ready. I am awaiting a new exhaust manifold so couldn't start the car up, I decided to turn it over on the starter to distribute the oil, water vapour was visible from the no2 piston exhaust valve, on stripping the head again I discovered that the head has a crack. Lesson learnt, if I ever have another seeming HGF I will take a wire brush to all chambers and check before refitting. 

crack.JPG

That head may still be salvageable with an valve insert, I would take that head to a reputable engine machine shop. They will probably tell you it will be at your risk. A good M/C Shop will be able to pressure test there work for leaks.

Bruce.

My friend had similar on a stag engine. He rebuilt it at great expense after a valve collet let go. Fired it up first time and water level plummeted and steam out the exhaust. Thought it was a duff hg so replaced and same again. Despondent he went on hols. Came back and took it all apart and there was a 5mm hold in the combustion chamber. The firm who machined the heads missed it.  They were a good firm and aluminium welded it and it has been fine ever since. 

Cheers 

Tim

23 hours ago, iani said:

crack.JPG

Hi Ian 

check the area carefully as that does not look  like a normal crack.

To me it looks like there is a void behind the 'crack' and it has broken through

OMG

Roger

On 6/12/2022 at 5:51 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Ian 

check the area carefully as that does not look  like a normal crack.

To me it looks like there is a void behind the 'crack' and it has broken through

OMG

Roger

the head is scrap Roger, I have obtained another one.