New TR6 owner (in a week or so)

I’ve always had a TR itch that needed scratching and having just sold my V8 Vantage, I couldn’t have a space in the garage.

I did a ton of research and was undecided over a TR4A or 6. They both have something about them, but in almost opposite ways. A 5 would have been the perfect solution, but that’s probably why they cost what they do.

i grew up in the 70’s, so the 6 was contemporary when I was knocking about, whereas the 4 and 5 were around when I was born, in the late 60’s.

As ever, whatever I went for, condition was paramount and I was struggling to find anything that I could confidently say I wouldn’t need to chuck a ton of cash at, either chassis, body, mechanicals etc.

Then the perfect car came along.

i emailed the owner within about 3 mins of seeing the ad and then fretted for half a day waiting for a reply. I thought he’d sold it already, it was that nice.

Anyway, the call came, we had a very pleasant chat and I secured it with a deposit.

I pick it up next Saturday - it’s only 600 miles or so round trip with a trailer, but who doesn’t love getting up at 4am for a road trip ?!

Taking a fellow petrolhead along for the ride and will update in due course.

The car has come from a Register member and I have a feeling it may be pretty well known.

Cheers

Jonny

Welcome to the forum Jonny.

I'm sure you will have lots of fun with your new purchase , a totally different experience to your V8 but just as much fun  ,if not more only at less speed.

Safe journey and keep in touch, don't be afraid to ask us on here  anything about the car, someone usually has the answer to it .

Enjoy

Brian

Thanks chaps - a lot of positives for the TR over the Vantage, the main one being I’ll probably use it a lot more !

I think modern sports cars will get taxed off the road and when you factor in the relative cost and smiles per mile it’s a no-brainier.

I come from a car history starting with Lancia Fulvias (6 in total), so the TR6 is akin in terms of feel, age, simple mechanics etc.

Jonny - welcome as well from me - whereabouts are you based? Be well worthwhile looking up your local group and going along to a meeting and also consider joining the club - I'm sure you will get a lot of benefit.

Also, post some pics on here when you get it, and we can all drool!

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, Jonny TR6 said:

I’m Wirral based - I think the nearest is North Wales, which is a very nice run out at the best of times. Some great roads around there.

Or Red Rose Group. I'm not sure where NW Group are based, but Red Rose meet at The Cock @Budworth (CW9 6HB) - although check before travelling as there are some changes over the summer with runs etc.

Oh - and welcome to TRs!

Roger

Welcome Jonny, I'm about 2 years into my TR6 experience, similar age to you by the sounds of things, I had a very memorable ride in a TR6 as a kid and wanted one ever after. Enjoy the ride, and forgive the niggles you will almost certainly encounter! 

Sean

Jonny, I am certain that you have bought a very sound TR6 in all respects. I know the car and have got to know the seller quite well over the last 4 years. He has been of invaluable help to me when I was rebuilding my TR5 and seems to be able to turn his hand to virtually anything classic car related. I know he will be sad to see it go.

Enjoy it.

Tim

I think your going to like it. Lovely to drive, easy to work on and no problems with parts supply. After a V8 vantage you will get a strangely pleasant surprise when it has the odd breakdown, you will be able to to subtract a zero from the cost of fixing it!

I’ve got several play cars to choose from but when the sun is out it’s always TR6 time. It was the last to arrive and it will certainly be the last to go.

Enjoy!

You will love TR6 ownership. I am into my 5th year now and it’s big smiles every time I drive it. Keep the top down and just listen to that distinctive straight six. Enjoy.

Thanks again all for the welcomes - Tim, it’s his ownership that convinced me it was the right one for me. An engineer who understands how things work and how to put a car together correctly and protect for the future.

Welcome and congratulations Jonny

i honestly think the TR6 is one of the great sports cars, and it’ll save you £££s compared to the vantage !

steve

2 hours ago, Jonny TR6 said:

Thanks again all for the welcomes - Tim, it’s his ownership that convinced me it was the right one for me. An engineer who understands how things work and how to put a car together correctly and protect for the future.

Reckon that you can sleep easy and just enjoy using it ………. a lot !
Tim

Looking forward to collecting it. I’m sure there will be bits and pieces to keep me occupied and fully expecting to do some fettling, so be prepared for idiot newbie questions in due course !

I’ve done a lot of reading and there’s a ton of info around, but always enjoy asking questions from knowledgeable owners and engaging with the various forums I’m on/been on.

Looks like you have collared a nice one. Mine was restored in 2012 and has never seen a wet road, well not in my five years of ownership. 

1F3CFA3B-E911-40F0-BCD1-2E4170D109CB.thumb.jpeg.a55e24fa61f35ccdd6c804de6c82caab.jpeg

My first choice was Magenta but they are rare, so Mimosa was second choice, I have grown to love it

We want pics, we want pics!...! Next month I'll have owned my CP 6 Pi for 50 yrs! During that time I have owned a Maserati 4.7 V8 and a 4.2 E Type Jag (both Red), they've both been and gone ! But the TR remains, which tells you something. I wanted a Red one, but everyone I went to see back in 1972 was White, so it was and still is.  

Goodness CP - that's some tenure ! Appreciate that all the pic pervs will be waiting to see it, but until it's officially mine I don't want to tempt fate.

Sapphire Blue with Shadow Blue interior if you want a taste of things to come.