Will these fit?

I want to put my wire wheels away for special occasions and fit some cheap but not too ugly wheels. Will these fit?

https://www.spdautomotive.co.uk/acatalog/ULML581-4GP3LS---ULTRALITE-MGB-GT-WHEEL---15--X--6-INCH---4x-114.3-PCD-ET3---SILVER-POLISHED-RIM-3239.html

I’ve seen all kinds of conflicting information about what will and won’t fit. I want to fit 205x55x15 tyres btw.

Any guidance or personal experience much appreciated.

I think you will need more of an ET that give the stand off from the hub giving caliper clearance

But please check for yourself.

PCD is the same on MGB wheels so they will bolt on OK but the offset is different I believe (22mm for MGB, 12mm for TR6). As Hamish says, you may find clearance problems particularly with wide tyres on 6" rims. 

Your hubs will have shortened wheel studs for the wire wheel adaptors, which may need changing to suit alloy wheels in order to get sufficient thread engagement but would need changing back when you re-fit the adaptors for wires, unless you used wheel spacers. 

14 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

You’ll be better served by a set of 5 1/2 rims with much narrower full profile tyres. 

Big plus one from me too. 

Alan G

Thanks for the tips.

Not a stickler for originality so it will be getting something a little wider but nothing too silly.

The engine is a lightly tuned EFI on throttle bodies and the brakes are AP 4 pots with the Volvo servo. Both can significantly outperform the standard wheel/tyre combination, so a bit of an upgrade for day to day use will be handy. I bought another engine which is getting more significant upgrades ready for a swap in the winter so that also influences the decision.

If you are thinking of 205 tyres just be aware they’ll kill the handling of the car and put more strain on the front wishbone brackets on the chassis. Make sure yours had been reinforced and drilled for the extra bolt.

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

If you are thinking of 205 tyres just be aware they’ll kill the handling of the car and put more strain on the front wishbone brackets on the chassis. Make sure yours had been reinforced and drilled for the extra bolt.

Mick Richards

Cheers Mick, luckily all that was done last year at racestorations as part of a complete  suspension and steering revamp. It had all kinds of chassis strengthening and adjustable suspension, quick rack, cosworth hubs at the back and bigger ones on the front etc etc. I suppose it’s fair to say that a 50 year old chassis needs to checked regularly under the increased strain but not much of it is 50 years old now.

It does slightly concern me that the extra rubber will make it rather heavy at low speed but it’s a weekend car so I don't have to lug it around supermarket car parks much. It’s on 195/55/15 Avons now and the handling is superb in terms of cornering grip but it lacks a bit of traction and could use a bit more grip to really take advantage of the bigger brakes. 

Edited by Motorsport Mickey