Just pulling the front end off the 5 and I have discovered that on each end of the lower front panel where the wings bolt on the flanges have a reinforcing strip brazed on the back of them, can somebody tell me  is this original or a hIstoric repair ?

5 minutes ago, Graham said:

Just pulling the front end off the 5 and I have discovered that on each end of the lower front panel where the wings bolt on the flanges have a reinforcing strip brazed on the back of them, can somebody tell me  is this original or a hIstoric repair ?

Sounds like a repair Graham. At least it’s not a Cornflakes packet matted with fibreglass!

Kevin

Thought this might have been a plan to do another TRchaeology event with Julian!!

Oh well, good luck with the repair Graham.

Atb.

I had a chance to go to the British Museum "Age of Stonehenge" exhibition with Julian this April, after we spent the weekend at the Goodwood Members Meeting.  Not quite TRchaeology, but a hoot nontheless!

Those *were* fun times, weren't they, Roger?

(Graham, I had a TR250 as my first-ever car, and back then in the rust belt of the US midwest a ten year old TR was a basket case.  The lower edges of my car's wings were flapping in the breeze.  They could have used anything to attach to, let alone a brazed reinforcing strip.  I'm guessing your strip is a later mod.)

Hi Don,

Yes, great fun indeed, thoroughly enjoyed the whole weekend!

Do you know if Julian is planning to do another one at some point? 

Hope you're well and happy Solstice for the morrow!

Roger

On 6/20/2022 at 12:52 PM, rog1 said:

...Do you know if Julian is planning to do another one at some point?...

The three TRchaeology events were spearheaded by our much-missed friend Alec Pringle.  Julian was happy to help, as TR3A owner for forty five years (I've only had my TR3B for forty one), and a mate of Alec's.  It was really quite a bit of work for Julian and Sue to "host" everyone, and Julian called in some favors to make them the most interesting events he could.

Julian sorta thinks the main attractions in the greater Stonehenge area have been played out for the group.  I've said return visits would still be quite interesting.  But there's nothing even remotely being thought about, and it would take some dedication on the part of someone in the Register to pull one together like Alec used to do.  Julian would take some convincing, but he's a sucker for teaching archaeology and a dedicated gearhead, so his arm could possibly be twisted.

His car is off the road for some worthwhile engine upgrades -- he's expecting his tired original to be a bomb when it gets back on the road in a few months.  He might be interested in an event to exercise the car.