Rear brake back plate problem

Hi All.

I’m sure I’ve seen an article about wear on the rear brake back plates that will cause a longer brake pedal, I don’t seem to be able to find it anywhere. Has anyone got any pointers please ?

Cheers Mark.

Look at were the handbrake lever swivels under the brake cylinder on the inside of the back plate, you will more than likely see that its worn a groove in the backplate there, this needs welding up and dressing flat or the cylinder wont slide properly in the back plate hence you have a loss of braking effort and a poor handbrake.

Stuart.

So much brake power is wasted by this construction for digging this grooves….

And the upper one is deeper than the lower one because the lever is twisted down by the bowden cable…

Sorry me, I can‘t stop pointing on this from time to time.

Ciao, Marco

Marco, you have to remember that in their day these were cheap mass produced sports cars meant to be thrashed to death and die young!! ... the fact that so many have survived into their 50's and 60's is testament to just how strong they are (helped by sympathetic owners and a tremendous spare parts supply system) .... Triumph, in their day, were always strapped for cash and got things done the best they could, and we are the lucky ones who still have these toys to play with!! 

Cheers Rob

20 hours ago, marki said:

Well look what I’ve found, after 11 years of ownership and never really happy with the brake pedal it appears this may well be the problem.

EA2A2ED7-B229-411C-A846-9AD503C3FC71.jpeg

Told you so ;)

Stuart.

On 6/9/2022 at 1:41 PM, Rob Salisbury said:

Marco, you have to remember that in their day these were cheap mass produced sports cars meant to be thrashed to death and die young!! ... the fact that so many have survived into their 50's and 60's is testament to just how strong they are (helped by sympathetic owners and a tremendous spare parts supply system) .... Triumph, in their day, were always strapped for cash and got things done the best they could, and we are the lucky ones who still have these toys to play with!! 

Cheers Rob

Well said that man!

On 6/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, Rob Salisbury said:

Cheers Rob

I know, but you excuse issues on a brake.

Better constructions have been known and used since the 50-ies on cheaper cars.

Ciao, Marco