Hi Folks,

I have significant tyre wear on the outer 25% of its width  What would cause this.

The remaining 75% has plenty of tread remaining.

My first thought is too much toe in but I am not sure.   

TR4A,Vredstein Classic Sprint   165

Roger

13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

I have significant tyre wear on the outer 25% of its width  What would cause this.

The remaining 75% has plenty of tread remaining.

My first thought is too much toe in but I am not sure.   

TR4A,Vredstein Classic Sprint   165

Roger

Driving too fast down Alpine passes. :D

Hi Roger, is that on the same side as the bent vertical link ? Or is it on the side with unbent vertical link ? This link shows how to check it.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/community/threads/triumph-spindles.98354/

Mick Richards

Roger,

depends where the tyre is on the car, and wether or not the wear is smooth or feathered.

e.g. Outer shoulder feathered wear is classic UK, i.e. driving on the left Toe-in Wear.

John.

Hi Folks,

more info.

The NSR developed wear on the outer 25% of the tread width.

I moved this tyre to the NSF and fitted a good tyre to the NSR

A year or so later the good tyre in the NSR position has now worn down as per the previous.

Both Vertical links are 5 years old and in good order

Hi Ian,

Ref the Alpine down hill madness - yes please,please please- sod the tyres.

Hi Richard,

I sorted the camber back in 2015 and if anything is still a tad negative   I will look at the WSM.

I will have to buy two new tyres and fit them to the rear. But it would be nice to resolve this wear issue.

Roger

PS - not feathered -clean and smooth

Edited by RogerH

Hi Roger, Ah, so it's the rear that's the problem, time for a 4 wheel tracking check, or spend some of the money on a Gunsen Trackrite ..... simple, shear gauge bit kit, but it gives consistent results if your happy to fiddle about and have got somewhere flat and level to work, .......... I've got one if you'd like to borrow it.

Cheers Rob 

5 minutes ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Hi Roger, Ah, so it's the rear that's the problem, time for a 4 wheel tracking check, or spend some of the money on a Gunsen Trackrite ..... simple, shear gauge bit kit, but it gives consistent results if your happy to fiddle about and have got somewhere flat and level to work, .......... I've got one if you'd like to borrow it.

Cheers Rob 

Hi Rob,

good idea.  There is a garage near me with a Hawkeye system and it is free.  Or it was 5 or so years ago.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I know you like to TRy doing complex things yourselves. This one is not that complex (if I can do it, you certainly can:D).

I did measure my own alignment (and corrected) with a simple laser (50 euro’s), and when it was checked in a garage, it was spot on. Took me a day or so, but a very satisfaying job.

Waldi

17 hours ago, Rob Salisbury said:

Hi Roger, on page 3.403 of the TR4 workshop manual (Blue cover, ring binder jobby) there's a series of pictures of tyre wear and the one showing outer wear pattern says a problem with camber ... I'm guessing too much positive camber to wear the outside?

Cheers Rob  

+1 for excessive  +ve camber Roger.

Tim

Hi Folks,

many thanks for all your comments.

I had a close inspection this morning and to be honest all the tyres are on their last legs.

So four new tyres and a laser align

I'll report back after the financial shock wears off

Roger

Morning Roger

About 8 years ago i replaced the track rod ends on my 6 and didnt get the toe in right, causing rapid wear to the inside edges of my fron tyres

new tyres and a professional alignment fixed this nicely, the ‘new’ tyres are wearing evenly and slowly!

steve

Edited by Steves_TR6

Hi Steve,

yes, it is good to get them pointing the right way.

I popped into my tyre shop. I was a bit concerned as their alignment equipment is very old manual stuff.

When I got there I spotted big notices advertising their 'NEW COMPUTERISED' alignment.

So had a chat about tyres and am going for Maxis tyres. Top end budget with good reviews.

Monday should prove interesting.

Roger