Scrap Surrey Top - Anyone?

Hi all, 

looking for the rear retainer bar from a Surrey, the bit that takes the two thumb screws.

I've bought a new replacement, that I am really pleased with, but it does not come with the retainer, anyone got a scrap top, and could provide one?

and I'll get fitted locally.

John.

8 hours ago, RogerH said:

You may find you need  to bend it a bit to suit your Surrey rear frame though.

Stuart.

Hi John,

I purchased a Retainer bar from Moss and thought it was rubbish. Did not fit at all well. Rather that bend and manipulate it, I returned it and made one myself.

Rather than use tube as original, which I could not find, I use flat steel bar, I think from memory approx 16 x 5mm which would fit into the sleeve at the back of the vinyl top.   It's a bit tricky as you have to bend it in two directions, I used a large vice to hold it and using an extension bar slowly bent it first in a horizontal curve, then into the curve of the backlight. I did not need to use heat. Took a while but worked out very satisfactorily and cost just a few quid compared with the  Moss ill fitting item at £60!

Rich

Hi Rich,

thanks for this, I actually knocked one up this morning, 12 O/D thin walled steel tube, from B and Q, actually bought to

play about with some different pram sticks.

Cut to length, (800mm) put through a bead roller, so that the pressed tube was nice and even.

Drill where needed and weld up nuts in position, and seal up the ends, coat of primer and its off to teh man with the big sewing machine.

Really satisfying and as you say a few pounds.

John.

.2078233504_surreyresized1.jpg.c26307f1c828a56fcd63ad970761f66e.jpg

419625068_surreyrearbarresized.jpg.abf81bd8e5cca1db72c3a01586f24c62.jpg

1366057425_surreyrearbarresized6.jpg.a26d31f6890e0a8a9e0bac6fe6262a45.jpg

• 3 months later...

Hi,

on this subject, can anyone tell me the overall length of the studs that the thumb screws screw into? On mine, the previous owner welded nuts to the bar and then tried to round them off, leaving really thin walls and the screws do not bite well. 

Greg